Thread: sanding solution

sanding solution

Hey guys. Anyone own or ever use a tool called The Sanding Solution? It's an inertia powered sanding apparatus, which is attractive because I'd rather not have a power cord to fumble around with like when using a drill & disc holder, and a quality cordless drill is just too much money to risk ruining by using it for sanding. This thing is something that seems like it would last potentially forever, save for possibly having to replace a couple bearings down the line at some point.

Also curious as to opinions on whether an inertia-powered system like this would have the same effectiveness as a pneumatic sander. A Grex 105 degree orbital runs about 100 bucks, and my compressor could easily handle the cfm requirements, but then you have the noise of the compressor to deal with. Hence my leaning towards the inertia sander.

My only concern with the inertia style sander is that it couldn't be used on a turning that warps slightly, since it wouldn't run true on the lathe.

I'm close to pulling the trigger on it but at 160 bucks I thought I'd see if I could squeeze some willing Creekers for pros and/or cons.
    Last edited by brian zawatsky; 08-13-2016 at 2:33 PM. Reason: forgot some stuff...
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Craft Supplies has an inertia sander for about $32.00. Google "inertia sander" and there is a link to a DIY unit.
    I use one a friend made for me. Very satisfied with the results.

A guy I know showed me one he made for about $5. He used two eyebolts, a short 1/4-20 bolt and washers, a bearing, a velcro sanding pad, and a couple of wood scraps.

You can used these sanders on a warped piece at a lower speed depending on the size, shape and amount of warp.

I far prefer the Grex random orbital sander with 2" and 1" pads. I don't do much power sanding and when I do it is usually with the lathe off so a friction-driven sander won't work. (I have my compressor in a small sound-insulated room and have air piped through the walls to points around the shop including at the lathe so that is not an issue.)

Also, the Grex is perfect for sanding something that is not totally round such as this (posted before):

JKJ

I had the CraftSupply one to start with (assuming it is the Apprentice™ Angle Sander ). Many of their products are good but I think their definition of "apprentice" is someone who is either too green to know better or not able to save for a quality tool. I used it for a few months before going to an angle drill. I would spend the extra money for the Sorby if you go that route.
    For the center of work it is almost useless and as John said it won't work off the lathe so if you have a nub on the bottom you will still need a different tool or sand by hand.
    I use an angle drill and the cord doesn't bother me but I can see where it may bother others depending on your shop set-up. My compressor isn't large enough for the Grex except for very short periods of time.
    I think Cap'n Eddie has a video on youtube on how to make one.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

The inertial sanders can be made at home without too much effort. The cordless drill/screw drivers should hold up a lot better than the angle drills, mostly because they are intended to drive screws and have much heavier bearings in them than the drills which are made to drill, and not grind. Battery systems are heavy though. Being able to hard wire one to a transformer of some sort might be really handy. Need max 600 rpm for sanding, and 300 would do fine....

robo hippy

I use a Makita 12V driver drill. It has a 1/4" hex collet. It has held up well for me for 4 years. It was around $99.00 at HD.
    Joe

I have the sanding solution and use it on every vessel I make. I love it, if it were to break for some unknown reason I'd buy another one right way to replace it. If you get the soft disc holders from Bruce ( The Sanding Glove) I see no reason they wouldn't work on a warped piece. Part of it is just learning to use it correctly. Call Bruce at the sanding glove & he'll take care of that for you.
    I don't turn bowls so I can't speak for how it would work on the inside of a bowl.

I made the "Capt. Eddie" version. For an axial "bearing", I turned a short piece of brass 1/4" ID and press fit it into my own turned handle. But before I did that, I dropped in a slightly larger diameter spherical super magnet that the brass ferrule holds in place. Then I placed a drop of oil on it. It is cool as it makes the metal sanding arbors "snap" into place. It also acts as a thrust bearing.

It is sad that it might be hard to find the spherical super-magnets as the consumer protection agency found a problem with children eating the magnets. But if you can only get a disk magnet, you could always round the end of your sanding arbor.

My total cost was under $5 and (excluding turning and finishing the handle) the assembly was about 10 minutes.

I just purchased the sander from hope woodworking in the uk. Just received it yesterday and i havent had a chance to use it yet. It is very well built and comes with 3", 2" and 1" sanding pads that just snap in place. Im impressed with what i received. Simon hope has a youtube video that shows it demoed.

I have The Sanding Wonder from Vinces WoodNWonders. I bought it a few months ago and have only used it a couple of times because I keep forgetting that I have it. I'm so used to using a power drill to sand that it just sits there. Since I don't use it, if you're interested I'll make you a deal (just send me a private message).

Thanks Pat. The jury is still out on which avenue to take, but I'm leaning toward a Grex pneumatic at the moment. I'll be sure to send you a message if i decise to go inertia.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

If you want to buy something rather than make something go to Harbor Freight and buy their pneumatic die grinder. Don't hook it up to air, just let it work as a inertia sander.
    RP

I use a Harbor Freight $20 angle grinder and let it free wheel on the outside of bowls without turning it on. The 5" diameter is too large for the inside of bowls, but works on platters. If you need to take away a lot of wood, plug it in. I'm going to try that die grinder for the inside.