Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a new Gasoline Can

Need a new Gasoline Can

Bought a leaf blower/vac/shredder and need a 1 - 1 1/4 gallon gas can for the oil/fuel mix. Seems all the reviews for the new "safety no-spill" cans are not very favorable. Hard to get the cap off the fill the can, can still spills fuel when filling the tank, etc.

Does any one have one of the new safety cans they are not too dissatisfied with?

Wish all the tools had the same fuel mix. My chain saw uses 40:1 and the leaf blower/vac/shredder requires 50:1 and it is recommended to use ethanol free fuel. Echo would like you to buy their premixed fuel which is 93 octane ethanol free and already mixed with their oil/fuel stabilizer. This stuff is $7.97 per quart or $32 / gallon at HD. They say as long as the fuel is no more than 10% ethanol it is acceptable but must be at least 89 octane but 93 octane is preferred . I will spring for 93 octane but mix the Echo oil myself. Cost would be around $5.00 / gallon fuel and oil combined.

Anyone know who sells 100% gasoline anymore?
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

George, I bought my first one and found it very unhandy to use. It finally broke. YAY!

I bought my current one at HD. It works much better! Here's one like mine with your 1.25 gallon requirement: http://www.homedepot.com/p/No-Spill-...5-V6/206992015 .
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Google ethanol free gas. You can find it anywhere that boaters fuel up, but there are plenty of other places.

You can always find gas cans at garage sales for a quarter. You are making way too much out of this.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    ...Does any one have one of the new safety cans they are not too dissatisfied with?
    ...requires 50:1...
    ...Anyone know who sells 100% gasoline...
    For chainsaws and other engines with SMALL tanks this is my favorite type of nozzle. Amazon sells the nozzle separately but I don't know how to tell if it will fit a specific can. Insert the end into the tank opening and press and hold the button to fill. I've used the same one for years now. Doesn't leak. Cuts off instantly when the button is released.

41HIcu1D3sL._SX425_.jpg

I absolutely HATE those safety nozzle with the spring-loaded sleeve with a hook that has to be pushed or held back to open a valve. Many places that is all you can buy. I always rip the sleeve and valve off first thing.

I always use 100% hi-test gas in small engines, chainsaws, leaf blowers, 4-wheelers, pressure washer, generator, etc. There are a bunch of places around here that sell it. Some advertise but some you have to ask. The price is usually more but not always. I think there is a web site or app that will get you there.

I only use Stihl oil mixed 50:1 for all my small engines that require a gas/oil mix, Stihl, Shindaiwa, or whatever. This oil has a stabilizer already added. I buy it by the gallon and pour into the tiny 1-gal mix size bottles to measure and have ready to dump into the tank. (I add a tiny bit extra to compensate for the oil left in the little bottle to save rinsing with gas.) One engine said 40:1 but I used the 50:1 for many years and the engine was still running strong when the rest of it started falling apart.

JKJ

I purchased one just like Ken's.....and then several of them, some for 2 stroke, some for diesel, some for regular gas.....they work great.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    For chainsaws and other engines with SMALL tanks this is my favorite type of nozzle. Amazon sells the nozzle separately but I don't know how to tell if it will fit a specific can. Insert the end into the tank opening and press and hold the button to fill. I've used the same one for years now. Doesn't leak. Cuts off instantly when the button is released.

41HIcu1D3sL._SX425_.jpg

I absolutely HATE those safety nozzle with the spring-loaded sleeve with a hook that has to be pushed or held back to open a valve. Many places that is all you can buy. I always rip the sleeve and valve off first thing.

JKJ
    That's what my first spill proof gas can was John, spring-loaded sleeve with a hook. I spilled more gas with it than any other can I have used, including Jerry cans.

My new can has came with the nozzle you show here. Works great!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 08-13-2016 at 6:29 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I also like the 5 gallon cans from 50 years ago, but they are difficult to find. The new version everyone is discussing actually works better than the antique with less spillage. If Ken can advocate new body joints, the rest of us can step up a bit with gas can technology.

Found source for ethanol free gas in my area. Gonna use it for all my garden equipment, mower, chain saw, leaf blower and snow blower. The chain saw and leaf blower are the only ones that require oil/gas mix.
    George

I finely found a source of ethanol free gas locally and I am now using it in all of my small engines I don't know if it helps but it can't hurt. I used the 87 ethanol in every thing until about a year ago My Echo trimmer is about 35 years old if it was too heavy for anything else I revved it up and stuck it in, you can't kill those things.

Found source for ethanol free gas in my area. Gonna use it for all my garden equipment, mower, chain saw, leaf blower and snow blower. The chain saw and leaf blower are the only ones that require oil/gas mix.
    How were you able to find ethanol free gas in Ohio?

I use the premix gas in qt cans from Home Depot. They just added a brand for $4.99.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Power-Car...6985/206455565
    Yes it is expensive compared to gas at the pump. But I only use it in my weed trimmer and blower. A qt last me about 5-6 weeks. Cheap insurance.

Before I started using the premix stuff, I use to get a synthetic 2 cycle oil at Home Depot (I think) that was good for all mix ratio. So only one can of mix was needed for all 2 cycle equipment.
    http://www.lowes.com/pd/Pro-Mix-2-6-...le-Oil/1053645
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 08-13-2016 at 8:35 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    I also like the 5 gallon cans from 50 years ago, but they are difficult to find. The new version everyone is discussing actually works better than the antique with less spillage. If Ken can advocate new body joints, the rest of us can step up a bit with gas can technology.
    The older cans are widely available in Canada,they are nothing fancy, no spill proof nozzles,just simple /old fashion gas cans. from what I've heard these older type of cans are harder to find in the US,but not up here,the funny thing is, what's available here, are all made in USA.

instead of another gas can, i use Amsoil at 80:1 for all my 2 strokes, chainsaws, leaf blower, trimmer, etc. we don't have etoh free around here, but i also use seafoam in every tank. something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by ken masoumi View Post
    The older cans are widely available in Canada,they are nothing fancy, no spill proof nozzles,just simple /old fashion gas cans. from what I've heard these older type of cans are harder to find in the US,but not up here,the funny thing is, what's available here, are all made in USA.
    Good to know. I'm in Canada right now for the weekend, but going home first thing in the morning. Next time I'm here I'll stop into Home Depot and see if they have the good gas cans.

As for the oil mix, I just bought a 4 stroke Makita leaf blower. I like it a lot.
    Gerry

JointCAM

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    How were you able to find ethanol free gas in Ohio?
    Here you go

http://www.pure-gas.org/

George

Yes, I saw that list but wonder how accurate it is.
    According to one source, Stations in Ohio (and some other states) are not required to list on the pump if their gas contains Ethanol or not.
    Seems like if one name brand station is selling Ethanol free gas. they all would be.

Anyone know of a easy way one could test it for Ethanol?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale