Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need a new Gasoline Can

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    ...Not sure what the fuss is about. I think the ethanol-sensitive components in fuel systems were all removed many years ago.
    Roger, one issue might be that older engines are still around. I still have some equipment with older small engines. I've had seals and fuel tubes and such turn to mush using gas with ethanol.

The extra cost is not that much for small quantities and around here there are several places close that sell the pure gasoline.

JKJ

Roger, rebuilt generator last year. Filled tank 3/4 full with ethanol gas with Sta-Bil. Went to crank it this spring, and tank was almost full. It was stored in my shed, so I knew it wasn't rain , but the water from the air mixing with ethanol gas. Drained out gas water mixture, dried tank with DNA and compressed air. Now it has "pure gas" in it. Other generator also stored in same shed had "pure gas" and no problems.

I use ethanol gas in my 30+ year old chain saw, my trimmer, my leaf blower and my mower without any problems. I don't use the low grade as my Stihl string trimmer requires a certain octane which happens to be middle grade locally. I buy middle grade gas in a 2.5 gallon container and use it for all purposes, mixing it for the 2-cycle engines. I don't drain any of my gas powered tools and they sit in an unheated shed over the winter.

In the late 80's and early 90's, we drove a Toyota 4-Runner. Every 20 months I had to pay to have the injectors cleaned and it cost a couple hundred dollars. I asked my daughter's ex-husband (my daughter and her ex-husband both have degrees in automotive mechanics )what an injector cleaning kit would cost. He said about $300 but he recommended I fill my tank at Chevron and add some additional Techron gas additive to it. Then put it on the road until the tank was empty. I did it and drove from Lewiston, ID to Missoula, MT to Couer d'Alene, back to Lewiston. I did so and it remedied the problem. At that time, most Detroit auto manufacturers were putting pressure on the oil companies to develop top tier gas products. Since then, all the major brands have additives that work better.

I haven't had any problems with gaskets, seals etc. as a result of using gasoline with ethanol.

All gasolines aren't created equal, IMO and experience.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

George,

I have to store my gas closer to the house than I like so I spend a few $$.

I like Justrite steel can's. I don't buy plastic if there is a fire.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FKIW3BA...471315113&sr=1

Quote Originally Posted by ken masoumi View Post
    The older cans are widely available in Canada,they are nothing fancy, no spill proof nozzles,just simple /old fashion gas cans. from what I've heard these older type of cans are harder to find in the US,but not up here,the funny thing is, what's available here, are all made in USA.
    I think the PITA gas can designs are a result of U.S. EPA edicts. Is Canada a bit less 'enthusiastic' about eliminating gasoline fumes escaping containers?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schneider View Post
    George,

I have to store my gas closer to the house than I like so I spend a few $$.

I like Justrite steel can's. I don't buy plastic if there is a fire.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FKIW3BA...471315113&sr=1
    If there is a fire, type of can isn't going to make any difference. Will it melt before burning, or explode from heat first? Either way the results won't be pretty!

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I think the PITA gas can designs are a result of U.S. EPA edicts. Is Canada a bit less 'enthusiastic' about eliminating gasoline fumes escaping containers?
    The newer designs / containers with spill proof nozzles are available but the older type or design is what people seem to gravitate toward, probably they are actually easier to use/pour and are always available at lower prices.
    This is the type I'm referring to, I own a few myself, different sizes but the spouts are identical:

When the rubber spout on my old steel gas can finally gave out and replacements are no longer available due to the new regulations I just began to use a funnel. Easier to use than the so called "Spill Proof", cheaper and one size fits all! Just my .02!

Blog Entries
    +1 on the no-spill gas can. The company is/was in Lenexa, KS, not far from where I used to live. When they got started, there were just a few places in the Kansas City area where you could get them. I bought one of the first at Air Parts (cool place, they supply experimental aircraft builders). I've had that ever since and it's worked great.

The only thing you have to remember with the No-Spill is to push the button while it's upright to vent any pressure.