Thread: Planer problem

Planer problem

Good afternoon, I have a problem/question for you. I own a DW734 planer and I am getting ridges running the length of the board after planing. I replaced 2 of the 3 blades (The third has a stripped bolt that I need to get out). I thought that the 2 good blades would remove any ridges left from the 3rd blade (assumming there are knicks on the third blade. I looke and could not see any knicks). I'm I correct thinking this? Is there something else that could be causing the ridges besides the blades? I am very new to planers and have only run about 30 board feet. Any help would be apreciated.

Chuck

It sounds like it is something beyond the cutter head. Did you notice if the ridge was on the table side of the wood or the side faceing up? It could be something on a roller or on the table....some left over wood chip or something.

Thanks for the reply Donnie

It is on the top of the board. I thought of it being on the rollers or a wood chip and cleaned it as best I could (Rollers don't rotate without the unit on and I'm not gonna stick my hand in there while it is running). But if either of these were the case, it seems to me that there would be a grove instead of a ridge, does that make sense?

Chuck

the ridges are from knicks in the knife/knives. It doesn't take much to leave a ridge. If you replaced two of the knives you need to make sure that you set them at the same level as the third or maybe even a hair higher. When I say hair I'm talking in the .001-.002 range. If the third knife is high the new ones won't take out the ridges.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Thanks Steve;

As far as I can tell by reading the manual and actually changing 2 of the blades, there is no way to adjust the set of the knives. They are indexed, reversible knives. If I (and the manual) are missing something, please let me know, as like I said, I am very new to this.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hayes
    Thanks for the reply Donnie

It is on the top of the board. I thought of it being on the rollers or a wood chip and cleaned it as best I could (Rollers don't rotate without the unit on and I'm not gonna stick my hand in there while it is running). But if either of these were the case, it seems to me that there would be a grove instead of a ridge, does that make sense?

Chuck
    Yeah...your right...I was not thinkng straight....

I was tend to agree with Steve, But, it would seem that in order to have a perfect ridge down the board the chip would need to be in the same postion on all blades....unless the two new blades are not set deep enough to remove the ridge from the one chip blade.

Wink planer blades

try turning the blades over if they are like mine I have the 735 planer.I set my blades one to right side ,one to the middle and the other one to the left. When you get a ridge move one blade and it should corect the ridge. Mike

The third blade that you can’t get out is probably sticking out slightly further than the other two blades. I’m guessing it has a nick and causing your ridges.

Another thought...a planed board is not a finished surface. Still needs sanding so what’s the worry with a little ridge? That ridge will disappear most quick when ya hit it with the sandpaper.
    Larry