Thread: Portable tool/supply cabinet ideas

Portable tool/supply cabinet ideas

At the moment, I don't have a shop, and I use an offsite shop for my work. The problem is that I don't have storage at the shop, so I have to carry all my supplies and personal tools in and out with me.

Im thinking of a cabinet or system of modular boxes, the same idea as a systainer, that can easily transfer from the shop to my truck at a normal walking pace, then transition into the bed of my pickup. Imagine a box, maybe 4' high, 2' wide, 2' deep, rolling on a hand truck. When you get to the truck you can lift one end to transition from vertical to horizontal and slide it into the bed easily.

Has anyone seen something like this? I need some ideas.

Thanks.

Only thing Ive seen like that is custom carts made up for Festool products for guys who are entirely bought into their system.

That said its far from impossible to create something your self. My suggestion is get yourself a little comfortable with SketchUp and start CADing out your own design.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Thanks. I've got the CAD skills, I just need some design ideas. It's not that I can't design what I want, I just don't want to reinvent the wheel.

The Toolbox Book, by Jim Tolpin has some amazing ideas.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I've got the Tolpin book and have enjoyed looking at it and reading passages many times. Have not really put much of it to practical use,but it is a good encouragement to clever and mobile storage.

Why not go to Home Depot or lowes and see what they have in terms of rolling job site boxes. I bought a Stanley version when I was moving tools around, was fairly rigid and still use for storage of tools that aren't frequently used.

f you can find a stretcher out of a ambulance you might be able to use it,they do go from about four feet off the ground and roll right in the back of the ambulance and are only about knee high in the vehicle

What type of work? What type of tools?

I'm mostly neander, but I'm transitioning to mostly systainers for reasons similar to what you stated.
    They are expensive, but the T-locs just work.

If it's too expensive (and you have a lot of time). there are guys on youtube showing how to make them out of plywood.
    There's also a better version that's made by a guy Mirock (who's a total stud for being so handy).
    I like Mirock's T-loc drawertainers much better than the standard T-locs, but have no time to make them.

-note:
    Previously, I looked at homedepot and Orchard. There are quite a few options, but they didn't have the flexibility or quality that I wanted for my tools (some systainers will have $400+ of rasps!). You can try different things, but it boils down to $$$$ vs time (and how much you have of both).
    Last edited by Matt Lau; 08-29-2016 at 2:13 PM.

Dewalt was a setup of modular boxes and a cart exactly as you describe. Dewalt Rolling Wheel Portable Toolbox Cart Workshop Storage.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

This isn't exactly what you are asking about but I think it is a good design:

http://festoolownersgroup.com/festoo...able-workshop/

It could have real drawers instead of sliding shelves for Festool sustainers. You didn't mention the need for a bench/work surface but that is usually useful. If I needed to do work outside my shop, I would build one of these.

Yup, that MFTC is pretty slick.

It's probably what got me into the systainer system.
    I thought I'd be able to build it, but never made/found the time.