Thread: DVD / Online Video Recommendations

DVD / Online Video Recommendations

Hello,
    I have watched a couple DVDs by Christopher Schwartz and really enjoyed them. So I wanted to ask for recommendations for other DVD (or online video) authors on hand tool woodworking. I am especially interested in project DVDs. So following along while a project is executed. Thanks for your suggestions!

Youtube is your friend. Tons of material, a lot of it is good. I enjoy Paul Sellers, he does fine work and is a good teacher. Frank Strazza's Homestead Heritage School, James Wright, and lots of others.

There aren't free, but I've found Richard McGuire's premium videos to be invaluable. He has an easy and humorous manner that makes it fun to watch, and he has a lot of insight into the craft of working by hand

Paul Sellers has a lot of good stuff as mentioned.

Apparently, Norm Abram has restarted his site...something about "back to Basics" On youtube, reruns of the New Yankee Workshop.......

A few repeats from above; this is a mixture of projects, techniques, and handtool/hybrid. As mentioned above, a YouTube/Google search will produce a lot of videos. I tend to search the subject ("build a saw bench", for example and sort through the results, versus follow a single woodworking site).

Paul Sellers, Steve Ramsey, Marc Spagnuolo (Wood Whisperer), Rob Cossman, David Charlesworth, Jon Peters, Shannon Rogers, Stumpy Nubs, Billy's Little Bench, woodandshop, Bob Rozaieski Fine Woodworking (Logan Cabinet Shoppe).

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Apparently, Norm Abram has restarted his site...something about "back to Basics" On youtube, reruns of the New Yankee Workshop.......

Is this something besides his New Yankee Workshop site?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Cox View Post
    Hello,
    I have watched a couple DVDs by Christopher Schwartz and really enjoyed them. So I wanted to ask for recommendations for other DVD (or online video) authors on hand tool woodworking. I am especially interested in project DVDs. So following along while a project is executed. Thanks for your suggestions!
    What areas are you interested in? Woodworking is a broad area.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Check out the Wood Whisperer. I also suggest doing a search for "The Unplugged Woodshop" or Tom Fidgen. His books "The unplugged Woodshop: Hand-crafted Projects for the Home & Workshop" & "Made by Hand: Furniture Projects from the Unplugged Woodshop will include a variety of builds, skills, tools and techniques. He has a number of you tube videos for some of these projects.

If you have a specific project in mind, do a search within the Sawmill Creek site. You might find a well documented build right here. If not, broaden the search to the internet and you are likely to find a variety of tutorials or demonstrations.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    What areas are you interested in? Woodworking is a broad area.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Hi,
    I am new to woodworking and am wanting to learn some foundational techniques from videos. I enjoyed and learned a lot from Christopher Schwartz's "Build a Sawbench" and "Build a Dutch Tool Chest" DVDs. These are projects that I can take on myself as a new woodworker and I have the advantage of being able to refer back to the DVD as I have questions. And then I learned some good techniques from the videos. And I also liked his delivery and personality. So this is the kind of stuff I am looking for. I have since checked out Unplugged Woodshop which I like and then I also am trying out Rob Cossman hand tool videos. I am all hand tools so that is really my focus and I am interested in beginner projects that I could tackle at this point in my development.

Thanks all for the other suggestions. I will spend some more time going through more of this.

Pat