Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

15 Aug 2016

Good Morning Everyone,
    It has been raining here and so far this has been the wettest summer I can recall since moving to Arkansas in 1999. While we haven't had as much rain as many other places, it's just that our typical August is very hot, dry, and humid. I'm not complaining here because we needed the rain and I am very thankful for the cooler temps recently.

Got some time in the shop in the past week or so. Been doing some work for our local bowling alley and this time is was for additional shoe storage. A simply shoe rack to hold 55 pairs of shoes. A buddy at the day job has been helping me as my 2 son's are busy with their own lives with work and stuff. I have more work to do for the bowling alley and I have some upholstery work to do for a very good friend of mine but I'm having to wait on the LOML to work with me on the upholstery stuff. I guess wood glue doesn't work in place of sewing upholstery together does it.

My new granddaughter got a clean bill of health from the doctor so we're now able to spend some time with them and really enjoying the 1st grandbaby for the LOML and myself.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Worked about 13 hours yesterday, for a total of 79.6 hours last week. Put in another 10 hours today.

I'm a little behind... and shot.

Put 4 coats of shellac and the last of 3 toddler chairs. Later this week, I'll rub it out with steel wool and wax. (Suggested in FWW.) We'll see how it comes out!

Working on a dining suite. 10 chairs and 3 metre table, 6 bar stools and bar. Table weighs in at 220kg and is on a single centre pedestal. The calculations worked! I can sit on the end and it doesn't tilt at all. The pedestal is a steel core with a plywood shell and veneered with sawn messmate (Eucalytus obliqua). The table top is composite construction - structural ply core with embedded steel stiffeners overlaid with sawn messmate veneer. Composite construction is to maintain stiffness in all directions given the single centre pedestal. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Added the roof structure to a greenhouse my wife and I have been building.
    Chuck Taylor

Finished up an oak lowboy dressing table, George I 1710-172. It is a combination of a few pieces, in books and one that I had repaired, Using period construction, quater-sawn /riff-sawn White oak. The top is Book matched white oak and the back is pine. It was fumed for ageing with dye stain, shellac and wax as the finish. The hardware is 40+ years old but were hand cast from originals, I cleaned them up with files, polished, aged with ammonia then polished/cleaned again. Attached with old steel strips.
    IMG_4006.jpg IMG_4007.jpg IMG_4009.jpg
    Last edited by joe maday; 08-15-2016 at 8:53 AM.

Joe, please post that beautiful piece in the Woodworking Projects forum area! (where finished projects and builds get to be ogled by the community)

Dennis, I hear you on the "wet", but despite my dislike for the extremely humid/hot we've been having, I have to say that our lawn is looking the best it ever has in the summer this year because that "tropical" air we're getting up here in SE PA is also accompanied by rain. My two tomato plants are producing faster than we can consume them, too. Of course, some of that rain is pretty violent and just reinforcing my decision to put in a whole house generator "real soon now"...

Aside from mowing the grass, I spent my free time in the shop again this weekend working on the hutch portion of my buffet/hutch project. That pretty much consisted of having a paintbrush in my hand as I wanted to pre-finish the inside surfaces before starting assembly. It's so much easier to paint things flat on the bench and other surfaces. So not a whole lot of "actual woodworking" but progress on the project, just the same. We also celebrated our younger daughter's 17th birthday on Sunday because everybody was off from work at once for a change so dinner, cake and presents were easily accommodated as a family. Today's the actual day...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I managed to finish the top to my router table...router lift, miter track and t-track installed. Now onto the fence.

I got the four walls stood up on my office shed project, and built the 3' high stub(?) wall that will sit on top of the front wall to give the shed roof it's pitch. Now I need to get it lifted into place, sheath the exterior, and start setting the rafters. Also got an electrical permit today so I can start wiring it up.
    ~Garth