Thread: Powermatic #25 Shaper

Powermatic #25 Shaper

Hi all, I recently purchased a Powermatic #25 shaper equipped with a drum style reversing switch with is a dual voltage 230/115V motor. When purchased the motor was wired for 230V, but I would like to convert it to 115V. The motor has a diagram for the conversion, but is not accurate because of the reversing switch. I have 6 leads coming out of the switch into the motor, 2 oranges, 2 yellows, and 2 blacks. After removing the cover of the switch, it appears the blacks are the lines, but I have no idea what to do with the other wires. Currently wired at 230V I have the following configuration

Orange- wires 3 and 2
    Orange - wire J
    Yellow - wire 5
    Yellow - 8

I'll get some pictures tonight and post which wires the blacks are hooked up to. Any help would be appreciated.

My bandsaw was the floor model at busybee in Calgary so it came wired for 110V - my best advice on your situation is to do what I did: buy a friend who happens to be a journeyman electrician, a beer (or, in his case, more than one). My saw is now 220V and I have no safety concerns about its power supply.

unnamed.jpg All, this is the motor plate. The black wires are hooked to the 1 and 4 wires

The Orange wire that is connected to 3 and 2 should be changed to 3 and 1 (and the Black wire that's already connected to 1).

The Orange wire that is connected to J should be changed to J and 2.

Do the above one step at a time in that order to avoid reversing the two Orange wires, otherwise FWD & REV becomes REV & FWD.
    Last edited by David L Morse; 08-16-2016 at 8:31 AM.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Thanks David. I'll give that a try tonight!

If it possible leave it at 230 because the motor will start much better.

Thanks for your help David, got it going tonight.

Blog Entries
    What in blazes is a "drum style reversing switch"?

image.jpgIt's very nice for using cutter which require reverse rotation