Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pecan Desk - From Log to Desk

Pecan Desk - From Log to Desk

This has been on my to-do list for a while. I milled the log up about 1.5-2 years ago and have used the top pieces for several end tables, but I have been wanting to make a desk from one for quiet a while. It is from a tree that was being cleared for an easement near Lake Brownwood, Texas that was going to be pushed in to a ditch to be burned.

The log:

Fresh cut green, before drying:

Dried:

leveled, sanded, dovetailed and epoxied:

It is pretty cool to see that when the tree was ~7-9 years old they trimmed a bunch of lower branches that grew over. Surprisingly, for being 32" average width, I counted the tree to only be about ~30 years old. Some of its first years it put on 1" of growth per year, but an average of about 1/2" an inch per growth ring, coupled with a spurt from about 5-10 years ago where it hardly grew it all, it obviously was sitting in a nice area.

I wanted a lighter design on the base, so I didn't carry the cabinets all the way to the floor, but this meant I needed to do some accent on the legs to keep them from being so monotonous. I put a taper on them and inlaid a strip of walnut about 1/4" in on the two outside faces of each leg:

Test piece:

four legs tapered and inlaid..

The end cabinets glued up:

The drawers are hand cut dovetailed 18" full extension soft close drawers on each side. Not my best dovetails, but it has been a while since I did any by hand.

I have about 5 more slabs from this tree that I have some ideas I want to try out with.

Last edited by alex grams; 08-16-2016 at 10:37 AM.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    Very nice Alex.
    How is pecan to work with??
    Dave B

Wow! Spectacular work Alex!
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Very cool! I do love the combination of the live edge slab with the modern drawers, very classy.

I have to ask though, did your thumb get into a fight with a weed wacker or something?

Wow...stunning!! Really interesting mixing the natural slab top with the more traditional pedestals, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

dan, the finger found a chisel one day (or maybe it was the other way around..). The pros and cons of sharp tools. It didn't take much of a slip (and admittedly me doing something not the smartest way) to make a nice cut.

Dave, I actually am a big fan of pecan. It is a little brittle at times, similar to ash, but so durable and tough with good character. One thing I did debate on this desk was if I wanted to make it from First & Seconds or select. The select grade has a lot more heartwood coloration and knot holes for some good character, but ultimately I decided to do F&S, as I did not want the lower part to be too 'busy' and pull the eye away from the top.

Thanks Jim, I have 4-5 more slabs from the same tree I am playing with designs on. I really enjoyed this project. I think I may do a more open writing desk style for one. I have a co-worker who started his own metal working business that I am doing some jobs with, so may try to do a more modern style with a metal base.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Very nice work Alex. I really like your wood selection. The top drawer faces and panels give the piece a nice balance and the walnut is just enough.
    Jim

Very nice work. Thanks for showing the steps of the project....

Outstanding piece.

Thats extremely nice. Very beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Nice work Alex. Great looking slab.

Looks real nice, good jod on the blue inlay to

Nice. I like the stringing on the legs. The stringing on the finger, not so much.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Really fine wood working. Love that natural Pecan slab.
    I can identify with the chisel meeting finger episode. Sent me to the emergency room one night from a recently sharpened chisel.

Nice job Alex! Did you mill it yourself? Chainsaw mill? Just air drying? Looks great!

Todd