Thread: slow drying acrylic paint

slow drying acrylic paint

I put 2 coats of fresh acrylic semi-gloss over a BIN shellac based primer and after 48 hours the paint is still soft. Suggestions?

Any way to add heat? In this humid weather, ambient heat mixed with moisture negates the heat. If portable, bring your pcs to a heated area, like a torpedo heater. If its fixed, like kitchen cabinets, you need to crank your A/C and blast heat onto it from a torpedo heater or plug in heaters. All layers should dry then.
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

Aside from the possibility of a "defective" finish, I would also suspect high humidity, especially based on where you live. Water born products need the water to leave the finish so that the rest can cure fully and that may not be happening. Adding dry heat like John suggests would be worth trying. In addition, perhaps you can bring the project into conditioned space that's at a much lower ambient humidity level.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

two weeks and it is still not hard. I guess this means a do over

Are you sure the primer is compatible with the top coat? Plenty will disagree I'm sure, but I wouldn't use a shellac product with anything synthetic other than nitro. Research your whole coating system before you start again. Cheers

shellac primer

The primer label specifically says it is compatible
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    Are you sure the primer is compatible with the top coat? Plenty will disagree I'm sure, but I wouldn't use a shellac product with anything synthetic other than nitro. Research your whole coating system before you start again. Cheers

thanks, I have to believe something. I will take your advice to heart