Thread: Boring Solution

Blog Entries

Boring Solution

This is how I bored a hole to hit my target through a couple of inches of end grain:

Auger Guide.jpg

This is to put a dowel through the handle of this rocking unicorn.

Two sticks were set up to help aim the bit to the center of the handle and to keep it square to the sides. It will work in other situations where one wants to keep the bit going to a predetermined spot.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Great set up Jim. Quick, easy, efficient.
    Jim

Thanks for the tip Jim. I can use all the "guides" I can get when it comes to drilling.

Blog Entries
    Jim,

There is a method for setting up to drill holes for spindles and chair legs that has some similarities. I thought about trying to explain it here but it gets a little to involved to explain without illustrations and a good deal of explanation. I think Drew Langsner came up with it or imported it from green woodworkers in Sweden. Drew explains it and provides a table of "sighting angles" in "Chairmaker's Workshop". Peter Galbert provides his own illustrations and further discussion in his book "Chairmaker's Notebook". Schwarz explains it in "The Anarchist's Design Book" too.

The method involves finding a "resultant angle". In his book's glossary Drew defines the term as: "The lean angle of a cylinder (usually a chair part or drill shaft) in line with a sighting angle. Often measured in degrees more or less than a right angle." Chairmakers often use bevel gauges set at the appropriate angles then positioned at right angles to each other to align a drill bit for drill holes. Galbert even came up with the idea of mirrors set at just the right angle in blocks of wood, so that the person aligning the drill bit can check the alignment from two directions at once. In classes a second person is sometimes used, to watch the drill bit angle from one angle so the person drilling the hole only has to worry about the drill's angle compared to a single bevel gauge.

Galbert connects two pieces of wood with a thumb bolt that can tighten them up at any given angle, sort of a simpler bevel gauge that can be modified to just the right height, or have multiple arm lengths. Getting all those spindles and legs angled correctly can be a challenge. This is the sort of technique that sounds very complicated until you see it done, at which point the light flashes on.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 08-16-2016 at 10:24 AM.

Hi Jim,

This is the first time I have taken to look at the picture, mostly due to way too many irons in the fire lately, but I am really glad I looked down the page and saw the post again. That is a great idea, and I have had difficulties with that exact problem in the past.

Thanks for the picture. Good job.

Stew

Blog Entries
    There is a method for setting up to drill holes for spindles and chair legs that has some similarities.
    Mike, thanks for doing a write up for the bevel method. It is a very helpful way to bore a compound angle hole or four.

I have Peter Galbert's book and have seen and use the single bevel method at times. Atop the curls of a unicorn's head is a hard place to set a bevel gauge. This wis something fast from easily found pieces from my scrap bin.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)