Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I improve router survival?

How can I improve router survival?

I just went through my second router in my router table. The first was a Bosch 1617EVS, lasted about 3 years and the latest casualty is a DeWalt 618, lasted about 2.5 years. Both are very good routers, and to be clear, what has been failing is the bearings. I think part of the reason is my enclosed cabinet style router table had dust collection only at the fence (up top) and nothing inside the box. I have recently added dust control and make-up air venting into the router chamber and we'll see if that improves things.

It seems to me that a couple of things are going on. First, the router chamber is a hostile environment with a good deal of dust flying around, not to mention heat. Second, the router is upside down, exposing it to dust infiltration even more.

Is there a reason routers are not TEFC?
    Have others had these issues with router life in an enclosed style router table?
    Are there steps I could take to lengthen life like maybe blowing out the router with compressed air from time to time?

Is there a particular brand of router that has a better reputation for surviving the rigors of a router table? I use a Rockler Router Lift FX, so I'm limited to the 2 1/4 hp class (Bosch 1617, DeWalt 618, PC 890 and a few others). The most demanding applications for me are routing dovetail drawer boxes with a Keller Jig and some raised panel work. With the exception of the dovetail jig, I generally take my time and take very small bites, partly for the sake of the tool, but mostly for quality of cut.

By the way, I had the Bosch repaired, and kept it as a back-up so it's in the table now. The DeWalt is going to the repair shop for the same surgery.

Any feedback appreciated...

I have a PC 890 in my table and haven't had any problems. But I don't know if I use mine as much as you use yours.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

The bearing in routers are sealed bearings, meaning that they have side covers to keep the dust and dirt out of the bearing races, and the grease inside them. They should last for a long time if not run hot. Are you working the routers too hard? Heat will thin the grease and it will leak out of the bearings. Heat may also change the hardness of the bearing races. If you are running the routers for long periods with inadequate air flow, this could be causing it. I always blow out my routers after each use.

Charley

Blog Entries
    What was the diagnosis on the Bosch? This will give you a good idea on what to replace it with. Dust is not a problem because you have good dust collection. If you are cooking them due to heat, get a shaper. I run my Milwaukee 5625 pretty hard and it is going on 8 years but, it is a router in a table, not a shaper and I task it as such. You may be overrunning the design parameters ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Too much air flow (vacuum) and you can actually suck the lube right out of a bearing! Collection (from the offall) from inside the cabinet would help. But the reason you're blowin' bearings is overload. Routers of the 2hp ilk are not designed for 3+" cutters.
    Frankly, in my view, no 110 vac router is made to accept 3-4" D cutters.
    Get a 7518, made to work with big cutters in the face of adversity.

Its the cheap Chinese bearings used in these tools that are the problem. Had the same thing happen to 5 or more bosch routers. Not mounted in tables btw. I too have a porter cable in my table, an older model so i couldn't say if the newer ones will last any longer.

I've had an old Ryobi R-500 router motor in my router table for around 10 years now. It hasn't been used all that time, however, I was without a shop for a couple years. But it isn't a premium brand or anything and is holding up fine. I think one reason is my suction does not come out of the bottom of the router compartment, it comes from the top, up around the collet. The area the router pushes air to. I had a previous setup where I pulled air out of the bottom and I noticed the motor got hot. So when I made my router table, I did it differently.

My old Ryobi has a 13.3A motor. That's bigger than my old PC690s but not all that much. I think the ones you are using are 12A. The one Pat recommends is 15A which is definitely bigger but I doubt that is the issue. I've used my old PC690s to use large panel raising bits. But I took about 4 bites to cut the edge of the panel. I maybe cut 3 times with the Ryobi. The big 7518 could probably do it in two passes. That would be useful but not enough to get me to buy it, so far anyway. My experience is any of these routers will do the cope and stick cuts that need to be done in one pass.

I personally am convinced that cleaning out motors with compressed air is more likely to drive out the lubricant from bearings than any dust that may have worked its way in.

But I have no real basis for this suspicion.

If you read the CNC forums... Folks talk about the bearings in PC 7518 routers and how they don't stand up to CNC use. Makes sense.. They talk about buying SKS bearings and some Japanese brand I don't remember. Apparently the routers life expectancy goes way up ..

So I guess I'm suggesting you buy a new router and ditch the crappy chinese bearings right out of the box ?

Routers are relatively cheap tools. Replacing the 3,5" motor is not so expensive compared to other tools and accesories. What I found expensive are good router tables, fences, router lifts, etc.

Did a quick snoop .. a set of SKS bearings for a PC 3-1/2 hp router is about $30.00 ..

Okay, I think I have a diagnosis. I built this router table 17 years ago. Like I mentioned in the orig post, the dust collection port in the lower chamber is new, also the router lift is new. So after I install them the DeWalt starts going south on me a few days later. Too much coincidence.

I now think the issue is not overload but inadequate airflow, namely a vacuum in the chamber which may have been an existing problem which I made far more acute by adding the lower 4" dust port. What little airflow I had is now being robbed and then some by the dust collector, and the router is basically suffocating and probably overheating. The one dinky hole I put in the front door is not nearly enough apparently. I turned the router on and put my hand on the top as inverted, and you can feel just how much air the router's fan is sucking in. So it seems what I did was like putting duct tape over Usain Bolt's mouth and making him sprint the 100m.

For now I'll run it with the door open but I'd like to look for a sweet spot of adequate make up air and effective dust collection. Any guidelines appreciated. Otherwise I'll perforate the door with more holes, perhaps 6-8 and keep adding as necessary until it feels right.

rt1.jpgrt2.jpgrt3.jpg

My router - no longer available Freud FT2000E hangs below a table saw wing router table. I was giving some thought to enclosing it for dust collection purposes. Maybe I won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    Did a quick snoop .. a set of SKS bearings for a PC 3-1/2 hp router is about $30.00 ..
    Yes, but I think that you probably need a puller to remove them and a press to install them. I own neither, which means that I have a set of bearings that I never installed. I figured I should wait until I had no other choice since I then need to go buy a press (or similar).

Trim about 3/4" off the bottom of the router cabinet door to improve the air flow. The door on my router cabinet has a gap and it runs much cooler, dust collection more efficient.