Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unisaw Platinum Edition, Did 36" Exist? Seller Asking $750

Unisaw Platinum Edition, Did 36" Exist? Seller Asking $750

I'm looking at a used Delta Unisaw Platinum Edition with an Excalibur guard/dust collection for $750. Seller gonna get my pics later. Did say it's a 36" rail version. I googled that and couldnt find a 36" rail 3hp platinum edition.

If it is a 3hp unisaw with excalibur system and 36" rail, is $750 decent? I was going to offer $550 as a starting point and see what happens.

I was holding out for a Sawstop, passed up one for $2200 and figure I can sell my jobsite bosch 4100 for $400, use the Unisaw until I move into a bigger place and buy a new under warrant sawstop.

That's a decent price, IMO. These came in a verity of configurations and I'm sure 36" was one of them. FWIW, I have a 17 year old "Grand Edition" 3hp Uni that has been bullet proof.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

A uni platinum wouldn't have come with an excaliber fence so if excaliber shows a 36" fence it probably was bought that way.

the bigger question would be will 36" work for you. It wouldn't for me.

Excalibur blade guard and dust collection like the pic below. It has a biesemeyer fence. For my 2 car garage, the 36" would work for me. Don't really have room for much more. I've been using a folding bosch 4100 for a couple years so really anything will be an upgrade, especially something that's 3hp. I'll have to add a mobile base though so I can move it around.

BIESEMEYERexcalibur-4.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Irish View Post
    Excalibur blade guard and dust collection like the pic below. It has a biesemeyer fence. For my 2 car garage, the 36" would work for me. Don't really have room for much more. I've been using a folding bosch 4100 for a couple years so really anything will be an upgrade, especially something that's 3hp. I'll have to add a mobile base though so I can move it around.

BIESEMEYERexcalibur-4.jpg
    LOL...that's my photo from very long ago...before I expanded the shop, even. The Excalibur was an excellent overarm guard/collector, too. (That saw was great, too...hope the gal that bought it is still working it hard!)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Well the owner has 220 for their dryer BUT the plug is different on the saw so no way of turning it in. That's the 1st issue. The 2nd is that from the photo it looks like it's missing the wood extension to make it the full 36" right side of the blade. They (wife and husband) don't think they have the extension piece.

I cannot find model #'s for a 36" 3hp platinum edition. I'm gonna call Delta tomorrow.

Pics from the seller. Looks like the rail is not attached on the front. From what I see, the wing extension on the right side of the blade is missing since there is a gap from the end of the rounded corner table and the end of the rear rail. I could be wrong. If that is everything then it looks more like a 30" than a 36" saw.

QcCIDQn.jpg
    8qVinkq.jpg
    FWJMOOl.jpg
    LJJxoiw.jpg
    Vfc3WgO.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Irish View Post
    ...no way of turning it on....
    Showstopper.

Well it's easy enough to make an electrical adapter to test the saw. Simply get a dryer plug/cord (sold as one piece) and attach it to a proper 220 receptacle. I have a 220V "adapter" in the shop in case I get a tool with the "wrong" plug.

Now onto the saw itself. I suggest an out-feed table. In photo 1, which is the back side of the saw, you can see the right hand extension. The table without the extension would have a square edge, not the rounded one you see. Also, without the extension, the table would end a few inches after the miter slot. The extension is there. I owned that saw prior to giving it to a friend and upgrading to a European Slider. It's a great saw and Phil says the best he's ever owned. I couldn't get it away from him for any price. You'll like the saw.

Phil's Unisaw.JPG
    Last edited by Rich Riddle; 08-17-2016 at 6:36 AM.

The right side tables are just a piece of particle board with high pressure laminate on the top and painted bottom. You can make one yourself. As far as the saw, if you want a Unisaw, this one is about the best you will find for anywhere near that price. It has the motor cover and the Excalibur guard, which together are worth hundreds if you needed to buy them separate. The saw itself looks to be in almost new condition. You can try to talk him down, but in my opinion, it's worth every bit of what he's asking, if it runs. Make an adapter and test it. This is the only sure way to know, but don't wait too long or this saw will belong to someone else.

Charley

I have the Platinum Edition with 52" Unifence. In that time period the shorter rails were offered as a 30" Biesmeyer Commercial Fence System. So you might have more luck searching for 30", not 36". Also, there would have been a short table board and a pair of support legs for the 30" Biesmeyer version. The left side extension wing should be rounded and the right side extension wing should be square to transition to the table board. As I recall, the longer rails were marketed with the Unisaws (52" Unifence or 50" Biesmeyer) and the shorter rails (30" Unifence or Biesmeyer) went with the contractor saws. Both saws with either fence were badged as Platinum Edition. Even if the Unisaw was not marketed with the shorter rails, I'm sure a customer could have configure it that way since the fence and rails came in separate boxes.

Looks like a nice saw. I'd use the facts that it's in pieces and needs some work as bargaining chips to get the price down a bit. I'd offer $650 and see what happens.

Sold my Unisaw for $1000... Easily. I'd say $750 is more than fair...

Had to take the girlfriend her work computer and drove another 20min to look at the saw. Glad I did.

The excalibur guard/dust collector does is not for this saw. Sure it can work for it BUT this Unisaw had the Delta/Besseimeyer overarm guard already on it.

No splitter/riving knife. It has the quick release pull knob for one but didnt see it in the garage.

No Front rail or front rail guide so the fence is just laying on top of the saw.

Raising and lower the blade made some noise. Sure some oil would help.

Not sure I want to source an extension cord adapter so I can test it. Adding a front rail/guide and mobile base is gonna be $300 + likely

Well that's all good reasons to talk him down some, but you are going to need to look a long time to find another Unisaw in that condition for less than $1,000. Will probably kick yourself next month if you don't get it. Just use the missing items as a way to get the price lower. A 3 horse single phase Unisaw with a Biesmeyer or Unifence will sell quick at $1000. Talk him down some, but don't let go of that saw, if you really think you want a Unisaw. Then watch craigslist for a fence, splitter, and base for it. All come up on Ebay and graigslist much more often for $1-200 than a Unisaw in this condition for less than $1,000.

Charley