Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shooting Board Made with Solid Wood?

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    That was fun, but actually I never claimed that the shooting board was useless. I think it is hyped up a bit, like many things (want to buy a 400 dollar shooting board?). You don't need to 6 square every single board in your shop and you could do a tremendous amount of work without ever touching one. And through a bit of research I found that they are probably a 19th century invention and even then only used for very thin stock at first, like in the veneering trade.

Especially for dovetail work they are actually quite usefull.
    Flip flop, flip flop.

Kees, this crops up frequently, and begs the question, what is "good" and what is "good enough". The process of discovery requires a good (good enough?) shrink?

A $10 plane can produce as good a result as a $1000 plane. A scrap wood shooting board can produce as good a result (at the time) at a $400 shooting board. So what should one do?

I decided that it is just more pleasure to have a good plane and a good shooting board. Is it necessary to justify?.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Luckilly it is not my duty to decide for someone else what to buy. I highly admire the work from Holtey, but we can safely assume that his perfectness is way beyond "good enough".

Stanley: not flip flop, but grayscales between black and white. This is not politics, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    Luckilly it is not my duty to decide for someone else what to buy. I highly admire the work from Holtey, but we can safely assume that his perfectness is way beyond "good enough".

Stanley: not flip flop, but grayscales between black and white. This is not politics, you know.
    When it comes to the specific subject of shooting boards, your credibility falls clearly within the boundaries of politics.

Who knows