Thread: Score on TS purchase!

Score on TS purchase!

I posted a question about a Grizzly 1023 saw a while back and I just wanted to thank you all for steering me through the process of buying it. I ended up paying the asking price because he also had a pretty nice out feed table, two really nice dado stacks and three nice blades as well as a aftermarket crosscut sled and some other odds and ends. $850

Pros
    Really good condition
    Light use (just a home basement shop with occasional projects)
    5 HP, 1PH 240
    Included fence seems pretty nice
    52"

Cons
    Right tilt (if that's a con- I think that's the only kind i've used)
    It's proving difficult to move :-(00C0C_9tOO8oVHsuP_1200x900.jpg

Congratulations on your purchase. You can place that entire saw and right extension on a mobile base to move it if you plan on moving it in the shop like many of us. It will look like this.

Phil's Unisaw.JPG

I was just researching that actually.

Any suggestions on a riving knife?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Congratulations on your purchase. You can place that entire saw and right extension on a mobile base to move it if you plan on moving it in the shop like many of us. It will look like this.

Phil's Unisaw.JPG

You did well, nothing wrong with that purchase.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Gauthier View Post
    If this is the redesigned 1023 that has a riving knife capability I would just buy it from Grizzly. If you're talking about a splitter the old design was a guard/splitter combo. If you don't want to go that way I would be temped to go with an MJ splitter or a shop made version.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

That looks like a pre-riving knife model so you can't add one. Best alternative IMO is a Shark Guard.

Good deal! I just bought a new 1023, assembling it today. FWIW I wouldn't say the right tilt is a con. I know the left tilt is the main stream now but I actually thought long and hard before pulling the trigger because I didn't want to give up my right tilting saw.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Congratulations, looks like you hit the Jackpot.

That's a very solid saw for $850. Congrats!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Gauthier View Post
    I was just researching that actually.

I've had this in the back of my mind for a while:

****-BBG-4-20-13.jpg

the(bo)rkstore.com Remove the ().

There's a version with overhead dust collection. I'm not sure what the collective wisdom is regarding this device but it's the only aftermarket riving knife (raises and lowers with the blade)I'm aware of.

I was looking at the various options. I planned to get a Grr Ripper anyhow so maybe I'll give theirs a try first since their cheap. I don't see how the MJ option could rotate with the blade tilt though so maybe the Shark is the way to go after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    That looks like a pre-riving knife model so you can't add one. Best alternative IMO is a Shark Guard.

Well got it all moved in and am getting ready to tune it a little and get it settled in my space. I ran into a question though:

Where I need it to sit on my concrete floor it's just a tad out of level right to left. I think I could fix it with about a 3/8" shim under the base. Is that the way to go? Does it matter?

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    If it was mine I wouldn't be happy unless it was level within 1/16". Some machines need to be dead level to work properly but a cabinet saw is probably a little more forgiving.