Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Screws for Acrylic Perpetual Plaque

Small Screws for Acrylic Perpetual Plaque

I have a customer that really wants an acrylic perpetual plaque. My only issue is the plates. Screwing into acrylic makes me cringe because it's so easy to crack acrylic. I did a test with some of my plaque screws and it seems to work okay but my fear is with 200 holes if one goes bad, I'm doing the whole job over. Tapping 200 holes is not what I'd consider an option. Potentially I could do it with a small electric drill but it's a step I'd like to avoid as it's a lot of extra work.

Anyone know of any screws that go into acrylic? Maybe some self tappers? These are little screws and have to hold next to no weight. Just need something that will have a low chance of causing the acrylic to crack.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

I use gold tape to hold down custom rowmark reversed engraved plates when working with acrylic perpetual pieces... Like you I cringe when drilling into acrylic.
    AcrylicPerpetualPlaque-1.jpg

That being said, I have used my laser to "drill" holes on piano finish plaques, so I'm sure it would work on acrylic too... Just lay out and size the hole about 85% of the screws and raster the plaque several times... Much easier than a hand drill or even cnc.
    Bruce Clumpner
    Brandon Services Laser Engraving
    Academy Commemoratives - Personalized Memorabilia for the U.S. Service Academies
    Irvine, CA
    -
    Epilog 75-watt Helix, 40-watt 18-Mini
    Started with Corel Draw V1 now feeling the pain of CorelDraw x7
    CS4 photoshop
    CS4 illustrator
    PhotoGrav

I assume you dont have a laser - which would be the answer. If not, then if you heat the drill a little, it will carve its way through rather than chip its way through. Even a nail will carve through once heated with a torch. I am assuming about a 3/32" hole for #6 screws. Then heat the screws to drive them in carefully. Maybe the self tapping sheet metal screws might work too, once heated.
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

I guess I don't understand the issue... I make a hairline pointer for one of my products, .200" thick acrylic, about 1" x 2" and I laser the holes in, chamfer both sides of the part using a hand held drill motor and chamfering bit, then using my cordless drill motor I run an 8-32 tap thru the holes, perfect threads and I can probably do a hundred holes in less than 20 minutes.

DSC_4813.jpg
    Last edited by Brian Lamb; 08-17-2016 at 8:20 PM. Reason: typo
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

To clarify a few things.

1. Drilling the holes is not a problem. Between 2 lasers and 3 CNC machines I can handle drilling 200 holes. It's the hardware/screws that will go into the holes that is a concern. I'm looking for the best screw I can use that will go into the acrylic and not result in cracking/issues.

2. Tape is out simply because I'll mount 50 of the plates and they'll be left to mount the other 50. I can just picture them not being close to straight and that just bothers me. Even if I provide a jig I doubt they'll be straight. On top of that, I'm not a big fan of plaques with half the plates missing.

3. The reason why I'd prefer not to drill and tap 200 holes is simple. I have a pretty good idea how long it will take. I just don't see me being able to bill for the time and I'm not interested in working for free at the moment. I'm well aware tapping acrylic is the best option for this but it's cost prohibitive. I've made several custom perpetual plaques and I'm pretty aware how long it takes to drill and tap 200 holes even using electric drills.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Try these then:

http://www.albanycountyfasteners.com...p/6000-002.htm

They are thread cutting and not thread forming, so you'd have a better chance at not cracking the acrylic.
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

Ross-- do you have a collet spindle? If so, do you have any 1/16" endmills? If not, pick one up from a machine tool supplier or online--

If you don't have a collet spindle, you can get a 1/16" drop-in endmill to fit the normal 11/64 NH spindles...

This is the screw you want to use, just basic brass screws for wood plaques...

--This one measures .44" long, and more importantly, .081" around the thread diameter. This means a 1/16" endmill is perfect for drilling the holes. Draw a circle .016" diameter, this will cut a .078" diameter hole, give or take. Do a couple of test cuts, .078 should be real close, the screw threads should have some plastic to grab but only barely, which is all you want. If needed, change the diameter in .001 increments till it feels right...

If you have any form of mist or flood cooling, use it to avoid melting the plex. This is the only problem with using an endmill...

If you sharpen your own cutters, just make yourself an almost-straight cutter, if you haven't already. Here's my go-to cutter...

This is almost straight, maybe 1/2° at best on the side angle, it cuts .050, and I use it to cut any plastics I don't cut in a laser. The notch is my answer to 1/4 round cutters .. it does help! This would drill holes in plex quite nicely, and these cutters don't get as hot as and endmill. I never cool this cutter, just use a vaccum. BUT, I only go .060 deep at any one time. You could grind yourself one up to a .070 cut, make your 'holes' .008" and test from there.

Anyway, just make holes a teensy smaller than the screws and you'll be fine!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

You could fit threaded sockets into each of the 200 holes and then just use machine screws.
    Shenhui SG350 fitted with a 60w tube.
    Aeon Nova 10 100w tube.
    Aeon Mira 5030 30w RF tube.
    20w Fiber Laser.
    50w Fiber Laser.
    Located in the Isle of Man, which isn't in the UK but almost surrounded by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Ashcroft View Post
    You could fit threaded sockets into each of the 200 holes and then just use machine screws.

I was thinking sex bolts glue the female in and screw the male to through the front

Small brass rivets. Just drill the hole for a light press fit with finger pressure. Drilling and tapping 200 or even 50 holes would be so time consuming. Does the customer want to pay for the time involved?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Ross, we have a few customers that are insistent on having acrylic perpetual plaques(~200 plates) too.
    What worked for me was to just laser out holes in a piece of scrap until I found setup that worked with the screws. Usually it was just the small wood screws from Marco/JDS etc that we used. It was more trial and error. I did break a screw head off about halfway through one plaque. I drilled out the hole a little bigger and filled it with a dab of epoxy. After it dried I redrilled it with a smaller bit that worked with the screw.
    ULS 50 Watt
    Sublimation
    Sandblasting
    Diamond Drag/Rotary Engraver

Plex is some unforgiving stuff...

Been experimenting with my own suggestions-- took my .050 cutter and started drilling--

First, MUST use coolant (my tool needs sharpened but any will get hot)... afterward I got some nice clean holes...

Thought I had it dialed in, BUT-- drilling a .027 hole worked, but took way too much effort to turn the screw. So I drilled a .028 hole, and the screw just dropped in..

a mere 1/1000 of an inch is too much space between go and no-go...

So scratch that idea. Anything else I can think of that doesn't involve tapping will result in permanent mounting. And I wouldn't trust self-tappers, they'll craze the hole edge and that can lead to bigger cracks...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

as i said sex bolts just drill and glue female. supply male with blanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    as i said sex bolts just drill and glue female. supply male with blanks
    Assuming you're talking about what are what I know as barrel bolts or binding posts, the smallest ones I've ever seen are 8/32 thread and use about a 0.2" hole, which seems a bit excessive for this application. Do you have a source for anything smaller than that?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

check with Mc Master Carr, they have screws with special threads for acrylic. I have used them on many projects and they work well
    Trotec 300 80 watt ** on order**
    Laguna IQ CNC Router