Thread: Sassafrass

Sassafrass

My sawyer gave me a stack of Sassafass which has clear short sections. I jointed and planed it a week ago and it seems to be retaining its shape (not twisting of spliting). I thought perhaps I could use it for some drawer boxes. Am I wasting my time and likely to regret it?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Not in the least. We have a Sassafrass stool an elderly woodworker made for my wife because he thought she was "sassy." It's kept it's shape for years, even after Calvin passed away.

Bill,

I like Sassafras for its ring-porous appearance but it's not very hard so might not be the best choice if you're thinking of wood riding on wood drawers.

I've only used it for turned work like bowls and platters.
    Last edited by Frank Drew; 08-18-2016 at 3:55 PM.

I like sassafras. I cut it into mostly turning blanks when a tree here comes down. It is a quite stable wood and dries quickly. It would make good drawers and other things. Also good for music boxes.

JKJ

I completed a large headboard, footboard, side rail queen bed for my son this past winter. Ash frame with sassafras panel construction. It has 18 book matched panels which were resawed from 6-9 inch wide stock and planed t o 5/16 inch thick. Sassafras is beautiful to work with, has an oak like grain that is not open. It was a nice compliment to the ash frame members. My sassafras came from southern Illinois, near St. Louis.
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville