Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arts and Crafts Dining room set completed!

Arts and Crafts Dining room set completed!

Ok guys and gals...Its all done!! Arts and Crafts dining room table, and 4 chairs! I started on the table the first week of June. It took me 6 weeks to complete along with a full time job! Then I began on the chairs. There are 42 mortises and tenons per chair. They took me 9 weeks to complete!! I have no idea how many hours I have in the whole thing, nor do I care! My wife and I are very happy how they came out. I have not done upholstery before, so I learned this afternoon! Not as tough as I thought, it went quite well. All quarter sawn white oak. I posted the table several weeks ago. All total, I have about $1200.00 on wood invested on this project. I used transtint water dye, and 6 coats of wipe on poly, then a coat of wax. All my wife talks about is how she will have decorated on Thanksgiving Day!! Come to think about it, we all here at the Sawmill should give thanks to have the chance to do this craft we all love!
    My daughter collects purses, sooo.... the next project is a hall tree, but one for purses!! A purse tree, if you will!
    Thanks for looking,
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Michael and Sally Pfau
    Grant Creek Woodworks
    Missoula Montana
    www.grantcreekwoodworks.com

Michael---Very impressive set! I remember seeing the various posts as you made progress on the indvidual pieces, nice to see them altogether. Sounds like a lot of effort went into this, and it shows. The lady must abe happy indeed.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Michael,

That set is going to last FOREVER!! Very nice - you should be proud.

Your tremendouls effort has paid off big time!!

Nice job, Michael. That is one substantial set of furniture. I like the finish...but I'm betting the pics don't fully do the QSO justice.

- Vaughn

Really great job, Michael. Definitely an heirloom!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Bravo ! Very nice! Wonderful work.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

great job. what did you use to cut the mortices? What would you do different in the future if you had to do it again.

lou

Really nice set Michael! I like the stoutness of the design. Looks like the set will outlast us all.

Cheers,
    KP

Lou, I have a delta morteser. And what would I have done different?..umm...probably nothing. Although I got the plans from Woodworkers journal, and they will here from me about the mis measurements in their plans!! Most of them I caught, before I cut. But one went by me..cost me some time and wood. I can use the pieces for another project though.
    Michael and Sally Pfau
    Grant Creek Woodworks
    Missoula Montana
    www.grantcreekwoodworks.com

Mike, this turned out great. I like the heft of the table and the overall look of the set. It came together wonderfully. Good for you! I'm sure this will be the gathering spot for many memories to come.

Outstanding. Only word for it.

Mike,

Great, great job. Congratulations on how it all came out. There is no beating the feeling of completing a beautiful project like this. And doing it for your family is just so great. And wow, you can't beat the price either. Wonder how much that would cost to buy in a store (not that you could even get that quality though).

Ok, I'll stop gushing and just say, Well done!
    "When you earnestly believe that you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts,
    there is no end to what you can't do."

Mike,
    Great job and thanks for sharing. Did you happen to keep track of which dimensions were incorrect? My wife has her eye on the same plans for my future work load.
    Dave

Wonderful!!! I really like the job that you have done on that dining room setup. I had a friend ask me the other day if I had a plan for a buffet in the arts and crafts style. Did your plans include a buffet?? If so please share the plan # and the issue that it came from.

I like the way that the set goes with the southwest style of your home too.
    Good job!!!!!!
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.

I absolutely love it! Mission is my favorite style and that table is simply gorgeous! The chairs turned out great as well!