Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jointer choices

Jointer choices

All,
    I currently have a choice of four interesting jointers here and thought that you might have some suggestions on which might be a better choice. First, a 6" JET JJ-6CSX that is effectively brand-new ("used once") with a mobile base for $785. Second, a 6" Delta 37-190 which looks like it is in great condition with an extra set of knives for $300. Third an Inca 510 jointer/planer with an extra set of knives (not the Tersa head model) for $500. Finally a quite old 8" Delta 37-315 that needs new knives and lots of cleanup for $400 (OBO).

The Jet looks great but one can buy a brand new JJ-6CSDX (with quick-replace knives and 6000 RPM cutterhead) for only another $150.

The 37-190 Delta would definitely be a stop-gap solution, but an attractive one for only $300 - especially if I can talk them down a bit. I am not a big fan of the open stand, but I could deal.

I love the idea of having the jointer and planer in one (Inca), until I hit the lottery and can larger separates, but the fact that Inca is out of business is worrying. The extra set of knives helps - but eventually I would need those, too. The fact that the tables are so short is bothersome, but that fact that they are ten inches wide is awesome for face jointing.

Finally, I am really attracted to the big 8" Delta - it must be nearly seven feet long and is "old arn". I suspect that I could replace the knives fairly easily and cheaply, but it definitely would have to be done soon. And it is missing the original serial number/name plate - this bothers me as I cannot know when it was made. Finally, it needs lots of love and a new porkchop guard - the current owner replaced it with a shaped piece of wood.

Thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

8" Delta. A set of HSS knives for it can be had for <$20 - don't worry about that at all.

You should check the tables and fence for flatness with a good-quality straightedge, though.

Another vote for the 8" Delta. The Jet is highly overpriced. The Inca is great but parts prove difficult to find. The small Delta doesn't fill a stop-gap. Ask any of us who went through the perpetual progression of larger and larger tools.

I have the jet, but that is twice as much as I bought mine new several years ago. Great machine and I have no complaints, but if I could get my hands on an 8" jointer at that price I would jump on it. I haven't had any problems with the jet it always does the job, took the knives out once and sharpened then with the Duelen jig, well worth the investment.

8" delta for sure.

Another vote for the 8" Delta
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Go for the 8" Delta. You will appreciate the quality of OWWM.

Doug

Didn't this almost exact same thread come up last week? Get the 8".

If you don't have a planer, or you are cramped for space, the Inca is a great choice. I had one just like that for 25 years. With it's separate motor there is little to go wrong with that machine. I had two sets of knives and never wore them out and I jointed and planed many, many thousands of BF with it. In all those years, I had one planetary gear belt break. They are still available through Eagle America, I believe. The beds are short, but I regularly jointed 6 ft and longer boards with it w/o problems. Having that 10" jointer bed is a huge advantage, IMO. I finally sold the Inca - and bought a 14" wide machine J/P.

Only you know your needs, but don't decide against the Inca because you are worried about something breaking or wearing it out. As long as the planetary gears are in good shape it will be a faithful servant.

John

Wow - a unanimous response! I appreciate everyone's help - thanks! Take a look at these other pictures and see if you are all still agreed. Also, does anyone know what the pairs of holes on the outfeed table are for? I have never seen those on a jointer before.

20160818_144833.jpg20160818_144811.jpg20160818_144740.jpg20160818_144746.jpg20160818_144009.jpg

You need to make sure the tables and fence are flat. That would be a deal-killer.

It's a dovetail-way bed, which is trickier to adjust than a parallelogram bed (if needed). It looks like there is some rust up inside the castings. It kinda looks like the top and base don't go together?

It's the best deal of the ones you posted, but I don't think I'd pay $400 for it. Maybe $300 if you're looking for a project and cleaning up old tools.

Needs some TLC, but that could be expected with an older machine. Someone already stated those are dovetail ways on the outfeed. I still think it's the best choice, maybe you could get the price down a little bit it still looks in decent shape. Can't go wrong with an 8" and you won't be sorry with that size of jointer.

No question...the 8" Delta and some knives. A 6" jointer is pretty much limited to just doing edges and one of the most important functions of a jointer is flattening lumber before planing to thickness. Even an 8" is marginal for that for many of us, but it's certainly better than 6"!! Oh, and it will have longer tables and a heftier build, too. That's a good thing
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Everyone - thanks for your input! I picked it up this afternoon for a nice price: $275. Now - where do you suggest I get some new knives? Also, HSS or Carbide?

Nice work! That's a very good deal. Put a little work into cleaning it up, and you'll quickly have tripled your money.

Many people recommend http://www.globaltooling.net/ for jointer knives. Go with HSS, for now, until you've gotten the feel for sharpness/dullness and alignment.

Be VERY careful when cleaning the bed and fence. This is not a job for a power sander. You do NOT want to get it out of flat. Green scotch-brite, WD-40, and lots of patience....