Thread: Grinder restoration

Grinder restoration

I have an old hand cranked bench grinder I am in the process of putting in order. Most of it is in pretty good shape, but it needs a new grinding wheel. The wheels I can find (e.g. Lee Valley) have bushings that go down to a 1/2 inch shaft). The shaft on the grinder I have is 3/8. Have other folks encountered this, and what was your solution?

Blog Entries
    You might try a piece of 1/2" of tubing for a bushing. Otherwise, a piece of oak dowel might do for a hand grinder.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 08-19-2016 at 1:23 PM. Reason: sp

Since I do a little turning, I made a wooden bushing for mine. I used a piece of green wood from a recently cut tree, and made it an easy fit for the wheel, just to be sure that the wood won't swell and crack the wheel. After a year the wood has probably shrunk, but it served to mount the wheel in place and the side flanges seem to be holding everything in place well enough.
    Last edited by John Vernier; 08-19-2016 at 11:06 AM.

Nicholas,what part of Va. do you live in? I could turn out a bushing. You used to could buy a set of red plastic bushings that fit inside each other. Just select the one you want.

Blog Entries
    I found a metal bushing for mine in my accumulation of odds & ends.

You will likely find one at a well stocked hardware store.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    I have an old hand cranked bench grinder I am in the process of putting in order. Most of it is in pretty good shape, but it needs a new grinding wheel. The wheels I can find (e.g. Lee Valley) have bushings that go down to a 1/2 inch shaft). The shaft on the grinder I have is 3/8. Have other folks encountered this, and what was your solution?
    I use the "press-fit drill bushings" here to adapt grinding wheels to different-sized arbors (the proper name for what you call the shaft). Unfortunately McMaster-Carr makes it hard to directly link to the lowest-level product listings. The standard parts go up to 3/4" outer diameter from a 3/8" inner, though McMaster will also make custom sizes to order for a hefty price ($40 ea in small qty).

Grinding wheels are generally a little bit bigger than nominal, so the fact that those bushings are spec'ed 1-2 mils oversize ends up being an advantage. I find that my wheels run truer with the McMaster bushings than with the plastic ones that they come with.