Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Split in side of baby cradle - need suggestions on how to repair

All

Thanks for the input...

Erik - Orientation of boards grain - wow - completely missed that one - but it never entered my mind back then - I was just looking for the best utilization of my lumber. I did find the original pattern and instructions - guess what - grain ran both ways in them too.....

Scott - Original glue - best as I can recall - was either white (ie Elmers) or some variety of yellow glue.

Will likely try glue w/ the shop vac or compressed air.

Thanks

Jim

Jim,

I think Erik is correct. I can't tell for sure in the pictures, but it appears that the back piece of the cradle is glued in or otherwise attached via joinery to the sides, and the grain is running in opposite directions.

As soft as Pine is, I'm pretty shocked that the splits aren't worse, given that the wood is expanding and contracting in different directions.

You might be able to re-glue it, but I suspect that will not be a permanent fix.

Blog Entries
    I've thought about it. I would cut sticks of wood 3/8" X 1" X 6" long and inlay them vertically on each side about 1 1/2" from the front of the hood.

A neat job would look good and stabilize the piece.

If that joint was a previous glue joint then there might likely still be glue residue in there and therefore gluing with yellow/wood glues won't do diddley. Epoxy might be your only hope but I would just leave it be. Structurally, it all looks good.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I've thought about it. I would cut sticks of wood 3/8" X 1" X 6" long and inlay them vertically on each side about 1 1/2" from the front of the hood.

A neat job would look good and stabilize the piece.

Just to expand on Lowell's idea (et. al.), try to glue as best you can, strap to clamp until dry (and hold), and then router each side for a bow-tie key inlay or other suitable shape for the impending occupant.

Blog Entries
    If you want to force the glue into place, I would use vacuum on the other side to draw it.

Blog Entries
    If it were mine, I would celebrate the battle scars and use butterfly inlays. Sort of like the crack in the Liberty Bell. Just go with it.