Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Lee Valley Mortise Chisels

New Lee Valley Mortise Chisels

I've been wanting to purchase some proper mortise chisels for some time. The Ray Iles mortise chisels were always at the top of my list. I also considered the Lie-Nielsen mortise chisels, but I'm not a big fan of the socket handles. I have a full set of their bench chisels and the handles are always popping out. Anyway, this week I received email from Lee Valley introducing their new Veritas mortise chisels.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...&WT.tsrc=Email

I like their handles and I've always been very happy with Veritas products I've purchased in the past. I was contemplating purchasing these with the A2 steel over the Ray Iles chisels which have D2 steel. I'm hesitant to spend considerably more for the Lee Valley PM-V11 steel since I don't make mortises with hand tools exclusively.

I realize no one has yet seen these new chisels to make an informed assessment, but is there a reason I should pass on these and go with the Ray Iles?

Over time the handles on the Ray Iles will split, because of the tang. I think the Veritas tang in socket will hold up better. I have been using the Lie Nielsen mortise chisels, they work as good as any other chisels that I have used. I will say the Lie Nielsen chisels are more of a light weight chisel, compared to the Ray Iles chisels.

I of course don't have the Veritas but love the two planes I do have of theirs. I also don't own LN stuff but of course everyone loves their stuff. As for "fixing" your LN chisels, spray some hairspray on the handle where the socket slips on and push it in tight. Should solve that issue for you.

I personally would save the money and go for the Iles chisels. I have a couple of their English pattern MK2 chisels and wish I had just bought the set. Some of the nicest, thinnest chisels I've ever seen and used. I can only imagine their mortise chisels will be good as well. For mortise chisels I have the Narex ones because I don't cut a ton of mortises and in all reality there isn't much to a pig sticker anyway. Just sharpen and pound on it.

So, my vote would be the Iles. Veritas would be good but I don't think you need to spend that, but, they look amazing. Or you could save a ton and grab the Narex I mentioned if you don't mind some ugly chisels sitting around that do a good job.

Just my .02.

Blog Entries
    I also considered the Lie-Nielsen mortise chisels, but I'm not a big fan of the socket handles. I have a full set of their bench chisels and the handles are always popping out. Anyway, this week I received email from Lee Valley introducing their new Veritas mortise chisels.
    As much as I like socket mount handles on my chisels, it doesn't seem an advantage on a mortise chisel. I haven't looked at an LN bench chisel. There handles popping of easily has me wondering if they made the inside of the socket too smooth. All of my socket chisels have rough surfaces inside the socket which seems to make the handle 'jam' in place better.

As far as which mortise chisels, my only thought is George Wilson mentioned that D2 is a bit harder to get fully sharp.

Other than that it would be whether you like the traditional handle style of the Ray Iles or if the LV handles appeal to your senses. I kind of like the look of the maple handles on the LV chisels.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I don't know but if they can keep them in stock they will be better off than the Iles. I've been waiting for a replacement 3/8" Iles pigsticker for almost 4 months. The chisel was poorly tempered and chips after only a few blows. The chisel has been ground back far enough that it should be past any brittle metal.

(Just in time to use their free shipping!)

Not a direct answer to your question, but I just got done looking for mortise chisels so thought I would comment. After handling what Lee Valley had at a show (this was before their mortise chisels came out), looking at the Lie Nielsens, and reading everything I could about the Iles chisels, I got old Sorbys from Jim Bode. If I could not find old ones I was happy with, I would probably have gone with the Iles.

Just got their late summer catalog as well and the mortise chisels caught my eye. Not sure what you're building, but I have only needed a 1/4" size so far and I have the Ray Iles. If, as Paul suggested, it ever splits, I would consider these.

Given I would only buy the 1/4", I'd likely go PM-V11.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sidener View Post
    Over time the handles on the Ray Iles will split, because of the tang.
    A tang will not cause the handle on a "pigsticker" (or oval-bolstered) mortise chisel to split. For that matter, a tang shouldn't cause any handle to split. The end grain of the handle bottoms out against the bolster and takes all the force. The obmc design has been around for centuries and is extremely durable. I have never split one.

I suppose I would rather have the PM-V11 in the Veritas than the D2 in the Isles, but I wouldn't be concerned about the handles in either.

In any case, it's nice to see another option for mortise chisels.
    Last edited by Steve Voigt; 08-19-2016 at 6:33 PM. Reason: Verb tense

I only have preproduction versions with a variety of handle sizes and blade steels. I cannot therefore comment about the handles too much since I have not used the production versions, but I really like the general shape, and used them both with- and without the steel hoop. Even without the hoop they failed to show signs of wear.

What I can say is that these are the best mortice chisels I have used. My go to chisels have been Ray Isles, which are excellent, and a bunch of vintage Wards (which are nearly as good in edge holding as the RI D2 blades).

Where the Veritas shade the RI is in the blade design. The Veritas are slightly deeper, with more side registration near the bevel end. The lands are sharp front and back. These features translate into more control and smoother walls.

I obtained great results from both A2 and PM-V11. I do not doubt that the PM steel is better, however I found that the A2 just kept on going, and I never could discover the duration each held an edge. For all practical purposes, either should hold an edge through the longest morticing session you choose to endure.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Over time the handles on the Ray Iles will split, because of the tang.
    Have you actually looked closely at the Ray Iles chisels or are you just hypothesizing?

The reason I ask is because:

1. They have full bolsters. In other words the flange on the blade at the base of the handle is large enough to cover the full cross-section of the handle, just like a socket.

2. The handle cross-section is absolutely huge.

While I'm sure that you could crack the handle on any chisel with enough abuse, the Iles ones are VERY well supported by the bolster, which prevents the tang from being driven further back into the handle as a result of pounding. In comparison the Veritas chisels have substantially smaller handles, and the socket is much smaller than the Iles' bolster and provides less mechanical support to the handle.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 08-19-2016 at 9:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Have you actually looked closely at the Ray Iles chisels or are you just hypothesizing?

The reason I ask is because:

1. They have full bolsters. In other words the flange on the blade at the base of the handle is large enough to cover the full cross-section of the handle, just like a socket.

2. The handle cross-section is absolutely huge.

While I'm sure that you could crack the handle on any chisel with enough abuse, the Iles ones are VERY well supported by the bolster, which prevents the tang from being driven further back into the handle as a result of pounding. In comparison the Veritas chisels have substantially smaller handles, and the socket is much smaller than the Iles' bolster and provides less mechanical support to the handle.
    I had one and it split. The salesman that sold it to me told me they were prone to split. I know two other people that have had them split as well. They just went and made new handles for them, I bought a different chisel. The handles that they made have lasted way longer than the originals.

That was why I went to the Lie Nielsen. I think I have had it for three years, with no issues. My bench chisels are Lie Nielsen as well. If I have a problem with a handle, I can just use one off of another chisel with no lost time.

I have never had a problem with the RI handles. Nor with any of the replacements I made for the Wards. There is an article on my website how to make your own. That was 10 years ago, so I can say the handle style is fine.

Compared to the LN and Veritas mortice chisels, I find the LN too short - but that is personal. What I like about the Oval Bolstered handles is that the grip is variable - slide your hand up or down to suit the situation. The Veritas handles I tried ranged from very large to small (we were testing handle size), so I cannot say what the current one feels like. However I liked the overall length and style of the handle. They offered good directionality (flats on the sides).

Overall, the handle-blade combination on the Veritas felt taut. As mentioned earlier, the blade design adds to the effect of more control over the RI, which are quite pointy by comparison (hence "pig sticker").

Regards from Perth

Derek

I had one and it split. The salesman that sold it to me told me they were prone to split. I know two other people that have had them split as well. They just went and made new handles for them, I bought a different chisel. The handles that they made have lasted way longer than the originals.
    Interesting. That sounds like a manufacturing defect, because that configuration (full-bolstered pigsticker) has been around forever and is known to hold up extremely well under abuse.

I hope they straightened it out by the time they made mine.

I'm sure they are great chisels, but bloody hell, the price is a bit steep. Feel like you can get the same results without spending half as much. I have the Narex ones and they do the job just fine.