Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Very Interesting Looking Handheld CNC Router Product - Shaper Origin

Not sure how anyone can compare this to a CNC machine:

1. This is portable, so I can take the tool to the work. That's a significant advantage for some kinds of activities.
    2. It appears to be an add-on to a router, which most people already have
    3. I suspect this can be packed up and stored away
    4. The size of this machine is not dependent on the size of the piece you want to work on

I guess this could be all moot anyways if it's not possible to purchase one yet. Regardless, I can think of many reasons this would be preferable to people over a CNC machine.

Shaper.jpg

Well it does sport quite a rich set of features that seem to me to at least be very appealing. Available September 2017 at an introductory price of $1499 currently. If it lives up to all of the hype that would be much more bang for your buck then the Festool offerings. By the way Festool is a partner.

Looks like they have a way to register where you are, so you can change bits, etc

Pick up where you left off. Origin automatically recognizes the unique fingerprint created when you lay ShaperTape on your workpiece, allowing you to start and stop without losing the alignment of your digital templates.

plates.

Ive never been interested in CNC. But I found this intriguing - might or might not want to buy one, but it's intriguing. I'd really have to see one, try one and think about uses. Still, it is an interesting tool and Im glad you showed it to me Ben. Thank you.

I've already predicted that we will be headed in this direction.
    Eventually anyone will be called a woodworker because they will have a machine that they shove wood in one side and it poops out furniture from the other end.
    All of our silly machines that take forever to make something will be laughed at.
    Let the record show I saw this in a dream or nightmare.
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Eventually anyone will be called a woodworker because they will have a machine that they shove wood in one side and it poops out furniture from the other end.
    All of our silly machines that take forever to make something will be laughed at.
    Aj
    I could only dream of such a reality.

YOu can pre order it now and it will ship september 2017

$1300 if you pre order and 2000 retail when it is released

You actually can lift and reposition.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Harville View Post
    YOu can pre order it now and it will ship september 2017
    Sounds like another Glowforge

Interesting, looks like The Woodwhisperer posted about this this morning too. And another thread in this forum was created about it. I find that odd and surprising considering how long this device has been out in development. Years. All of a sudden theres action.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I had seen links to this product long time ago (many months).

The thing which is strange to me is that Fesstool is one of the sponsors, but they used a Dewalt DWP611 for initial testing, and it now seems as if a rebadged Makita (MLCS Rocky 30) is going to be used for production.

Central New Jersey, from where you can drive anywhere!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Aj
    And this is already the case in bakeries. Put the ingredients in one end and a loaves of bread or cakes come out the other.

Very interesting Ben, thanks for posting that.

If appeals to me because it wouldn't take up any shop space, and could handle any size work piece you can reach to the middle of, and after that any work piece you could sit or lie on.

If it works as well as indicated, it will revolutionize the wood working hobby as well as custom work profession...........regards, Rod.