Thread: Your Favorite Singers/Bands

Stew, now I can toddle off to bed happy!🍻

Rory Gallagher
    Eric Clapton
    Buddy Guy
    Son Seals
    Albert King
    Johnny Winter

My son JD is on tour right now with "The Boxmasters" band. They are doing some state fairs, etc. They made the list of the 30 best bands in Rolling Stone magazine, a couple years ago. Their sound is something like 60's British invasion rock and roll.

For complex glue-ups, I put on Led Zeppelin's "In My Time of Dying". At something like 12 minutes, it gives you a good sense of where you are on your open time... much better than keeping an eye on the clock.

Grew up with the 80's my kids and wife like that genre. I like Pink Floyd, Eagles, Counting Crows and many bands like the previous. I also like Johnny Cash and a lot of country. I guess I don' care for classical, but have never given it a chance to be fair. There really isn't much I won't listen to or give a try.

I like listening to Jazz and blue's :
    Among the Jazz singers my favorites would be: Louis Armstrong and Frank Sinatra, Among Blues : Jessie Smith and Eric Clapton.

Hmm, missed this thread....

In no particular order, singers... Roy Orbison, Roger Miller, Lady Gaga, Linda Rhondstat, Grace Slick, Redhead Express (if you like Allison Krause, you will like them), Pentatonix, Home Free (bass singer had 5 octave voice), Imelda May (for whoever liked Les Paul and Mary Ford, check out Jeff Beck Rock and Roll Party, tribute to Les Paul), Nat King Cole and Natalie Cole, and others that I can't remember at present.... Oh, Sexto Sentito, 4 young women from Cuba, more jazz type, but angel voices...

Sexto Sentito:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clMg33x1_e4

Pentatonix and Dolly:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYCoyUxY2HY

Home Free and the Statler Brothers, No idea why Elvira Mistress of the Dark is not in this one...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgm9gZs1hYw

Guitar, well, Jeff Beck....

I am lucky to have a PBS station locally with all volunteers who 'play what they want to play', every thing from Sons of the pioneers, old swing, blues, world beat, I never turn it off. Heck, they even let me come in and co host a couple of times after their fund raisers...

robo hippy
    Last edited by Reed Gray; 09-17-2016 at 11:05 PM.

Not unlike many of you, I've always felt Zeppelin to be the best rock and roll band ever.

I listen to a lot of indie rock, lesser known/new artists, often with folk influences. Probably my favorite, and it's not even close, would be The National. They have a mix of harder rock song and soft as well, often with horns and violin mixed in as well. A few members of the band just helped produce a huge 5-CD compilation of Grateful Dead covers as well (Day of the Dead).