Thread: Astro Dot Sanding paper

Astro Dot Sanding paper

A friend of mine introduced me to Astro dot Sanding papers a few months ago.
    I had always dreaded sanding because of the unpredictable results I achieved as I worked through various grits and often different adhesives and backings.
    Well, Astro Dot changed this for me.
    The material used is very hard and bonded to a cloth like material in a series of small dots with clear areas between each. the result is far less loading and a cooler running paper.
    I seem to be getting 5 or 6 times the life span out of these materials so the initial cost is significantly reduced through the life of the material.
    The paper is bonded to a very decent hook and loop backing that stay put throughout the procedures.

Fast cutting less clogging or loading

Available in grits of:
    80 120 180 240 320 400 600 800 1000

I am not sure if the vendors URL is acceptable here but if you e-mail me I would be happy to forward the site address to you.

p.s. I have no affiliation.
    Bob

Dr. Bob,

I can't speak in an official capacity, but I do recall that a URL embedded in a post is acceptable in this case--you're not affiliated and not blatantly advertising, just recommending a product with which you have been quite satisfied. I'd say go ahead and post the URL, and if Keith, Ken or Aaron have a problem with it, tell them I told you to.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Hi Jason:

Oddly enough just a few minutes ago I got this nastygram from one of the admin staff on another forum.

"What is your connection to this Astro Dot material anyhow? What's with this impassioned interest?"

I am a bit puck shy at the moment.

I think I'll stick to e-mail requests until the air is cleared.

Bob

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Re: Astro Dot Sanding paper

Originally posted by Dr. Bob Oswin

I am not sure if the vendors URL is acceptable here but if you e-mail me I would be happy to forward the site address to you.

p.s. I have no affiliation.
    Bob
    Dr Bob,

The rules do allow for the posting of a URL in support of the thread topic and would not be considered as 'commercial'. You can either add the URL to your original post by using the "edit" feature or add another post using the "reply" feature.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Thanks Ken:

It's like walking on eggs in some forums lately.

The guy I got my stuff from has a small presence on the web.

http://www.woodchuckers.com/sub_catagory_1.htm#sanding

This will get you there for a look.

If you shorten the address to:
    http://www.woodchuckers.com

You can get to the home page.
    The only reference I saw south of the border was on the woodturners association of America . ( you can google it)

And agian, I have no affiliation .

I'm just trying to contribute in my own small way.

Bob

Regarding the "other forum" (I have no idea of which one it is), if I received a note like that after a post, I would give serious consideration to my need to participate. I think this "standard disclaimer" stuff is a waste of bandwidth, but I don't have an alternative to it. I think I understand the reason behind it -- no commercial advertising.

You have no reason to be "puck shy", you did right by wanting to share.
    Best Regards, Ken

Bob, every forum's rules are a little different, so you're not out of line by being cautious about posting such a link. But Ken has clearly stated what's fine here and it sounds like you're ok!

I happen to moderate at another forum that does not allow links like that in the top-level post of a thread or any other blatant selling activities. It's all in an effort to keep that high-volume forum from becoming one big advertising free-for-all. (And the owners sell advertising to support the site) I happen to support that policy "there", but always try to be lenient whenever possible. That's hard sometimes...in most cases, forum hosts don't make the rules, they just have to "enforce" them.

As to the email you received from the other forum, that was a little over the top and discourteous, IMHO.

I just ordered a bunch of sanding supplies from Klingspoor, but when they are depleted, I'll have to check out the product you like. It sounds quite interesting!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Originally posted by Ken Garlock
    I think this "standard disclaimer" stuff is a waste of bandwidth, but I don't have an alternative to it.
    Ken --- no need here for you to put a disclaimer as to the URL -- we moderators can usually figure out if a poster has some motive other than supplying good information. Then it is a simple thing to delete the link. We try to be as acommodating as possible within certain guidelines. Moderating is not "Rocket Science"
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 06-15-2003 at 12:01 PM.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Dr. Bob!

I am glad you explained a bit more about what the Astro Dot is. It sounds like an advanced form of open coat sandpaper. The no-loading would be the obvious advantage, but by placing the abrasive grains in concentrated "dots" you probably have a better finish than with a lot of open coat papers. I am going to have to check this one out. We're here to learn, aren't we? Thanks for the lesson!

Scott.

Thanks Scott:

Your words are encouraging.

I am happy to share this info with this forum.

Some forums insist on copyrighting information you post.

Some of my info has taken years to accumulate .

It does not seem fair somehow.

That has not been a problem here.

regards
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob Oswin; 06-16-2003 at 9:16 AM.

Originally posted by Dr. Bob Oswin
    The only reference I saw south of the border was on the woodturners association of America .
    Bob
    Thanks Doc...I'm getting close to giving it a try. I just sent an email to these guys and they'll be glad to ship south of the border. I guess I better hurry before the exchange rate goes up any further.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Originally posted by Glenn Clabo
    Thanks Doc...I'm getting close to giving it a try. I just sent an email to these guys and they'll be glad to ship south of the border. I guess I better hurry before the exchange rate goes up any further.
    Glenn:
    I hope you enjoy this product as much as do several of my buddies and myself.
    Yesterday I finished a platter with 5 grits in less than 10 minutes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up Good tip!

Thanks for the lead...sound like good stuff.

And if you managed to turn that platter with only 5 grits of sandpaper it sure would save me money in lathe tools. I mean...oh wait you used tools too Nice looking platter.

Noah