Thread: Value-priced full extension shop drawer slides

Value-priced full extension shop drawer slides

Please share your experiences with specific vendor's full extension drawer slides for use in the shop. Like and dislikes? Are you loading them close to their weight rating? Wish you had gotten something else? I am most interested in the make and model of the slides, but supplier links are good to.

For example, here are some KVTT100 B24 100lb economy slides for $8 a pair for 23 inchers from Woodworker's hardware : http://www.wwhardware.com/kv-tt100-e...-slide-kvtt100

or KV8400 B24 24" non-economy slides for $16 a pair. http://www.wwhardware.com/kv-tt100-e...-slide-kvtt100

Here are some Grizzly's for $15 http://www.grizzly.com/products/Full...campaign=zPage

Same vendor, same weight rating, twice the price, ... must be 'something' like durability for the extra price, which should be considered in the weight rating,....

What do you like/not like about your slides?

Over the next 2 years I'll probably need 100 pairs, so saving a few bucks on each slide adds up.

Thanks,

Last edited by mark mcfarlane; 08-20-2016 at 3:30 AM.
    Mark McFarlane

I have used a bunch of the KVTT100 20" ones in my shop. I have had them 5 years or so. I have had no problems with them. The drawers are 20" deep and 20" wide and 8-10" deep. Most are not heavily loaded but one has a lot of bolts and lag screws in coffee cans with no problems.

I built my cabinets Euro style and it made installation real easy. The only thing I would do is to have the slides mounted a little higher in the front to help keep them closed. It is not a big problem but would make things easier.

I used the cheap ones from Woodworkers Hardware in a pantry unit I built. Drawer were 22" wide and were quite heavily loaded with cans and baking supplies, though probably still nowhere the load rating of the slides. The slides worked well and operates smoothly for the 5 years until I moved. They certainly functioned better that slides I bought from Lowes for another project and was too rushed to wait on shipping.

Good idea for a thread, subscribing to this one. I was just planning on using some "soft closing" ones from McMaster Carr for around $17 a pair, but if there are cheaper options out there that are just as good Im all ears!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Blog Entries
    I never liked the KV's because of the smaller bearings. I have had them fall out. I generally look for larger bearing.I also don't care for the KV lock mechanism. Prefer the paddle. A commercial forum would be better for this question.
    Last edited by jack duren; 08-20-2016 at 10:45 AM.

Check out Glide Rite, they are probably the best value out there. I have never had a problem with them, especially for shop furniture.

I was just planning on using some "soft closing" ones from McMaster Carr for around $17 a pair, but if there are cheaper options out there that are just as good Im all ears!
    You can get most items that McMaster-Carr sells for less money elsewhere. Just not as conveniently.

I personally prefer the KV8400's, as they are the smoothest slides I've used.

At work, we are now using Baer Supply DSPRO 2.0 slides. We get 20" slides for about $3/pair. Previously, we were using "Bee" slides, and paying a little under $4/pair. We probably buy between 750-1000 pairs/year.
    Gerry

JointCAM

I always liked Accuride full extension slides. Got a great deal (or so i thought) from a national supply chain for several mobile cabinets. Price looked too good to be true. It was only after I installed about a dozen drawers that I realized the bargain slides didn't have a detent for the closed position. So now, when ever I move my mobile cabinets, which is frequently, the drawers are free to slide open. The slides are excellent, but won't stay closed on their own. Just something to think about when looking at specs

Now I've switched to KV slides for a fraction of the price and they have the stay closed detent for much less cost and are my go to slides for side mount. I prefer Blum undermount soft close slides for higher end drawers, but that is a whole different animal.
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 08-20-2016 at 9:41 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

The manufacturer of a student desk that I designed has put ~4000 drawer slides from Woodworkers Supply in the units over 8 years. I'm a contact for engineering and support questions and I think I have heard of fewer than a dozen failures of the drawer slides - most were associated with the drawers being removed by a user and probably reinstalled incorrectly. The glides a mounted with are ~1/8" pitch to keep them from opening when the mobile workstations are moved.

So, IMO a good product and a great value. In the quantities being ordered I believe they are paying considerably less than the price cited.
    Last edited by Kevin Groenke; 08-20-2016 at 10:23 PM.
    Kevin Groenke
    @personmakeobject on instagram
    Fabrication Director,UMN College of Design (retired!)

For shop cabinets, I use these. At about $5.50 a pair I'm not going to complain. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2O6C0YRG6Z1WZ

I bought these, 10 Pack Promark Full Extension Drawer Slide 16" 100 lb rating, for $52 and free shipping, off Amazon. Here's the link: http://tinyurl.com/zggbsa8. They worked great in two dressers I recently built. I can't say the drawers have ever been loaded to 100 lbs. A 10 pack in 22" size are $62.94 with free shipping. Link: http://tinyurl.com/hjupcu6. They received a 5 star rating. I will purchase the same brand for future projects.