Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well, since that $1 walnut....

Well, since that $1 walnut....

Has been discovered to be Cherry, might as well start a new story line?

Have cross cut and jointed a few pieces..
    jointed.jpg
    And trimmed the end grain to match each other..
    end grain.jpg
    And laid out the finger spacing, with a high tech tool..
    finger gauge.jpg
    Carried the lines around, dug out a backsaw and a wax candle
    IMAG0006.jpg
    Wax helps the saw glide along. Grabbed the chisels to do a bit of chopping, until the two sides are done...
    sides done.jpg
    Then lay out the fingers on the end pieces. Twas getting close to lunch, so only one end was chopped..
    test fit.jpg
    And a test fit, will need a bit of fine tuning. Maybe after Lunch I can sneak back down ..
    sign.jpg
    through this door to the shop....."Abandon all hope, ye who enters through this door"

Stay tuned, it might get complicated....

Before all the bad storms rolled through here,and suppertime...managed to get a wee bit more done.
    corner #3.jpg
    Corner #3, and #4 soon followed. Did a dry fit, with clamps
    clamped up.jpg
    Then glued up a panel for the top
    glued up panel.jpg
    And set it aside til tomorrow. Set up the Stanley #45....
    fenced.jpg
    And did a test drive..
    test drive.jpg
    and even built a jig to hold the box sides in place, while I cut a groove or two..
    clamping jig.jpg
    Add a wedge at the other end. Test fitted with a cut-off from one of the ends..
    test fit.jpg
    So, maybe tomorrow, after the creek no longer runs through the shop, I might get a bit more done?

Sorry, didn't get the tornado tonight, just a LOT of warnings...

Looks like fun bandit! I haven't tried hand cut finger joints yet, maybe I need to make a box for something?

That box the Stanley 45 is in? Is the one I made for it, as the OEM one was broken by the USPS on it's way south. Haven't decided what will go into the newest box...yet

Got the Stanley #45 set up, and grooves have been ploughed...
    cut finished.jpg
    The grooves even lined up..
    IMAG0006.jpg
    Yes, I ploughed straight through, but, by cutting halfway though the pins
    IMAG0007.jpg
    Which means that now I need to glue up a pine floor for this, first I neede to joint two edges for a glue joint..
    jointed Pine.jpg
    Then some glue and clamps..
    glue up.jpg
    and set this aside until tomorrow. I also resawed some leftovers, crosscut to lengths to make a lid. They were quite a bit....rough
    IMAG0012.jpg
    And ugly, too. I decided to atleast get them all the same width. I jointed one edge, from that edge, I marked a line 1-1/2" over, then sawed off the stuff not needed. Some of the thicker spots were also sawn out. I got close, but need to scrub things up a bit. Used a cambered Stanley#5c Jack for most of it..
    cambered jack.jpg
    Then a #4 to smooth things out
    stanley no.4.jpg
    Maybe tomorrow, I can chop some finger joints and make a lid? Will need to size the bottom and top panels, as well. Maybe by wednesday......I migh be doing another glue up?

BTW: I have been bragging about that H-F scrub plane? Gave it a go on the worst of the lid parts..
    windsor 33 scrub plane.jpg
    There is no messing around with this little plane. I set the parts in the vise, so that just over a hair beyond 1/2" is below the surface of the jaws. I wound up doing both faces, as the non sawed face was still a bit rough
    marking a line.jpg
    This also shows how I marked the line. Set the combo for 1-1/2". I also left the line when I sawed of the waste. The plane used to joint that good edge?
    jointed edge.jpg
    Used the Millers Falls #11 Junior jack. A little smaller than the #14, and lighter.
    Lid parts set out..
    IMAG0022.jpg
    Was a very busy day, I was a bit shakey towards the end. I did make a mess on the floor...again.
    chips shavings.jpg
    For some reason, the shop smells like a Cherry pie....

Too nice a day outside, to be cooped up in a basement woodshop.......maybe later I MIGHT take a look down there....

Been using a lot of different hand planes on the little box build. From the Jack planes and scrub planes, and even a vintage smoother or two. Even drug out the Stanley #45 for a little work. Even used a low angle.......block plane!

Maybe later today, I might wander back down to the shop, and hopefully the floor has dried out a bit
    IMAG0001.jpg
    This was yesterday, after all the rain came through....hoping the shavings and such will soak this mess up.

Hmmm, which plane should I use to flatten out them glued up panels.......the #5-1/2? The No. 14 by Millers Falls? Maybe use that cambered N0.5c again?

Well, I WAS going to clear a path to my mitre saw...
    messy2.jpg
    Oh, it is back there, by the wall. Decided it was too much to move stuff around, just for three small cuts
    small cuts.jpg
    Soo, how about the GEM?
    GEM mitre box.jpg
    First off, that saw was way too big. Secondly, the guides were too wide
    loose guides.jpg
    Loosen that screw, clamp the guides tight to the saw's plate, and clamp a board in place ( much easier not having to hold and saw, at the same time)
    smaller saw.jpg
    Got all the cuts done, and checked with a square..
    square cut.jpg
    Not too bad? I removed the screws hold the mitre box to the bench, and folded the mitre box up..
    folded up.jpg
    Ready to stow away in a tool box. Needed to clear the bench top. The clamp came from a glue up that is about ready for some more work.
    Might even involve this...
    packed away.jpg
    Amongst other planes. Stay tuned...

Ok, part two of today's messing around. I got the Pine panel out of the clamps. I trimmed it for square, and for width. It needed some work on the faces, and the one sawn edge. Laid it on the bench top, and clamped it in place..
    face planed.jpg
    Finally got that one rough spot planed smooth, flipped the board over.....that wave effect again. Well
    better.jpg
    I figured a Junior Jack could handle that. Got it flat, brought that #4 back over and smoothed it out....which left that sawn edge to do, no problem..
    jointed edge.jpg
    Well, the #4 was sitting there, might as well use it. Ok, got the #45 out, and started to set up for a match cutting..
    match plane work.jpg
    Well this is a new 1/4" match cutter....and it does NOT fit my plane. Both of the 1/4" cutters were too wide to use, as the pine panel wasn't wide enough. I got out and set up the 3/16" match cutter, and things seemed to do a bit better
    tongue planed.jpg
    Except that a #45 does NOT like it when there is a knot in the way..
    knotty wood.jpg
    Ya think? Well, at least this will get buried..
    test fit.jpg
    Knot? What knot? Tried the panel in all four sides...
    complete test fit.jpg
    Needs a bit of fine tuning. I packed away the #45 for now. If and when the Laundry gets done, I will be "allowed" to make more messes down in the dungeon shop...

Then maybe some work on the lid? Stay tuned..

Well. I needed to straighten the end grain on the panel...might as well grab a plane and do it
    #3 plane.jpg

Square to assist in finding high and low spots. Plane is a Millers Falls made for Craftsman #3 ( their No.8 size)
    square.jpg
    Looks good from here. Trimmed a few places on the box's other parts, for a better fit. Might as well get the clamps and glue bottle out..
    clamped up.jpg
    Almost had enough clamps. The right side seems to have a curve to it. Diagonals match, but the curve made check with a square a bit rough.

Sometime tomorrow, when that forest of clamps leaves, I set about planing all four sides, and working on the corners.
    Also have a panel for the Frame & Panel lid to start on....
    lid's panel.jpg
    Maybe a Shaker style edge? Or something else? Whatever goes with finger joints, I guess.

Hasn't been any real plan to this, just working with what I had on hand.

Not sure what I'll be using it for, yet. Any ideas out there?

Well, box is out of the clamps today.....started to plane the sides....found out the plane needed a sharpening.....nice to have a few spare planes handy. Grabbed another, and got three out of four sides planes smooth. Then Lunch happened. Maybe later I can take the camera along to the shop? Need to get started on the lid....next.

Anyone following along with this little project?

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Well, box is out of the clamps today.....started to plane the sides....found out the plane needed a sharpening.....nice to have a few spare planes handy. Grabbed another, and got three out of four sides planes smooth. Then Lunch happened. Maybe later I can take the camera along to the shop? Need to get started on the lid....next.

Anyone following along with this little project?
    Yes. Fascinating to me as I have not figured out the hand plane thing yet, but am getting motivated to learn. Keep the photos coming, and thanks for sharing.

Ok, you asked for it. The box needed a bit of cleaning up when it was released from the clamps...
    before clean up.jpg
    All four sides looked about like this....well, since the Craftsman #3 was down for a sharpening, drug out the Stanley #4..
    stanley no.4.jpg
    I did all four sides like this. It was easier than trying to hold the box between dogs. Needed a little details work around the pins.
    The gaps were filled with a bead of glue. Since the bandsaw was covered in a fine Cherry sawdust, I spread a handful of it on top of the glue, and kind of mushed it around. Palm samder to blend the two together, then a plane for clean up..
    IMAG0008.jpg
    Plane is a Stanley low angle No. 60-1/2. Starting to look a bit better?
    Used the same plane a few more times.
    top edges.jpg
    I did clamp the box between dogs, and worked the top edges a bit. One end was a hair higher than the rest...WAS. Took care of that.
    Box was set aside for now. One other glue up needed worked on..
    rough panel.jpg
    This will at one point, become the lid's panel. I could have fought it flat with a few planes, but..
    sanded panel.jpg
    A new 80 grit belt works a bit faster. I wanted both faces flat, and the same thickness all the way through. Beltsander got me close, but the #4 came along and cleaned things up..
    planed panel.jpg
    When I get this to it's final size, and into the lid's frame, I can come back and plane it glass smooth. Needed to work on the frame's part, still had some waviness issues. Faces need to be planed flat, not angled, or have a dip or two in it's length. Involved two screws, one into the bench's top, the other into the vise's jaw. Then I could tighten the vise to hold these thin boards while I planed away on them. Screws barely stuck up out of the surfaces, just enough to dig into the end grain.
    Grabbed a jack plane
    planed parts.jpg
    Millers Falls No.14. The square was set up to check the thickness. I was making sure that each part was as close to 1/2" thick all the way through.
    I also could stand the parts on edge, and joint the edge straight..
    More in the next spot...too many photos in this one

Ok, jointing the edges..
    jointed edge.jpg
    Might be able to see the screws here? I kept checking to see how close to the same width these were..
    IMAG0017.jpg
    I think I got them pretty close? As for using that block plane? One end of the lid's panel was a bit wavy..
    end grain work.jpg
    The panel will still need to be sawn for width, and length. I wasn't too worried about the far end blowing out a bit, as that side will get about 3/4" cut off for final width. I wanted one straight end, to reference the other end off of, when I cut for length.
    Whew, about done for one day. laid out some toys for the next trip to the shop..
    toys.jpg
    Have some finger joints to do. Still deciding on how to attach the panel to the frame.....T&G or a Rebate? Stay tuned....maybe the cussing will subside a bit...