Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laguna 14/12 vs Rikon 10-326

Laguna 14/12 vs Rikon 10-326

Is the Laguna worth $100 to $200 more than the new Rikon? Anyone been able to compare these two models side by side?
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 08-20-2016 at 9:34 PM.

IMO both cost more and are worth less than a Grizzly G0513.
    Kevin Groenke
    @personmakeobject on instagram
    Fabrication Director,UMN College of Design (retired!)

But it would mean giving up cast iron trunions, cast iron wheels and a resaw fence. The throat depth is a little more but not terribly much. All 3 only manage 12" height. all 3 are imports. What would make the 513 or 513 anniversary version better? The version with cast iron wheels and trunions cost more. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Groenke View Post
    IMO both cost more and are worth less than a Grizzly G0513.
    You might be right Kevin. I'm curious to know what you're basing the opinion on - reading machine statistics, actual use (or testing) of all three, bad experiences with other machines from these importers, personal brand preference or something else?

Greg, I have the previous version of this Rikon bandsaw. From what I can tell, it's nearly the same as the one you are considering. I like mine. It does everything I ask of it. It had one minor issue early on and they talked me through how to fix it on the phone. I have not tried that Laguna. You could search the archives for opinions on it. Or, find a store near you and call to see if they will let you test drive one or both. There's no substitute for hands on. Grizzly has many fans. I just dont see them in stores around here and I'm not comfortable buying without at least looking over a demo model. Maybe you are.

Good luck!
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 08-21-2016 at 7:57 AM.

Greg,
    If you show your location on your page you might be able to find members who will show you their machines. I just bought the 14-12 this week so don't have enough experience to tell you much. Go to youtube and search for each machine and you will find reviews by actual users. All 3 brands have those who love them or not. Good luck.

I'm in the middle of nowhere in north florida and not near a store and do not have time to drive to one any time soon but worse than that I have found discount pricing online on each of the 3 via either a coupon code or other discount that expire on the 31st. I really need to make a decision quickly. The grizzly 10% coupon code was a public shared code so as soon as someone uses it that avenue is gone. And the laguna and rikon discount pricing all ends on the 31st.

I'm leaning towards the laguna but don't really know why. Maybe they have sexier marketing or something. I have 220 in the garage but using it means I would have to swap my table saw cord and my band saw cord between uses which would be a pain. I do not plan to drop another leg as my oneida v3000 is using my only other 220 drop in the garage. I'm wanting to be able to resaw up to 12", do general curved bandsaw cutting, split or cut logs for boards or turning material, etc. I think they would all be able to do this. I'm also wanting the highest quality unit for the price. I love my restored powermatic 66, I love my Oneida V3000, I love my powermatic 54a (even though I wish it were bigger), I like my dewalt 735 planer except for noise level, I like my dewalt miter saw, and I'm so so about my grizzly drill press as I feel like it's basically a rebadged harbor freight quality unit. I realize these are all imports but I'm sure one is better built than the others.

Looks like these would be my approximate pricing:

Laguna 14/12 $1,000 shipped to location
    Rikon 10-326 $866 plus possible shipping fee of $75 to location but may be able to save shipping if I pick up at terminal
    Grizzly G0513ANV $900 shipped to location
    Grizzly G0513X2 $1100 shipped to location
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 08-21-2016 at 10:24 AM.

SMC seems to have more readership on Monday morning than over the weekend, so with luck you'll get more first hand feedback. In the mean time, if you havent already, search the SMC archives for each saw and see what turns up. You can also do that at other WW web sites (like Wood Magazine's). Then a general google of each model. At least you'll have as much information as possible before deciding.

I do vaguely remember some negative feedback on that particular model of Laguna, but I cant recall if it was significant. I would say truthfully, that Rikon is the new guy on the block of the three. As is sometimes the case, they had some initial teething problems. Mine had (a minor) one too. Grizzly is a more established brand than Rikon but I cant say more than that - I dont own any of their stuff.

Good luck. Let us know what you buy!
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 08-21-2016 at 10:58 AM.

I have a Craftsman "professional" bandsaw, which is nothing more than a Rikon with different paint. It is older than the 10-326 but the design is similar. I also own the Laguna 14/Twelve. I have had lots of time to compare the two. Believe it or not, the Craftsman, which I bought for $350 as it was being discontinued, is a pretty good saw. It has one fatal flaw that the new Rikons have not fixed. The roller bearing blade guide mounts are sloppily made and are hard to adjust. The mechanics are such that the position of the bearings change as the lock screw is tightened. It becomes a trial and error exercise, which I hate. The laguna has ceramic blade guides, which I really like. I can go from different width blades in just a minute or two. Right now, I keep a thin blade on the Craftsman for scroll saw type work and use the Laguna with 1/2 inch Wood Slicer blade for resawing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    But it would mean giving up cast iron trunions, cast iron wheels and a resaw fence. The throat depth is a little more but not terribly much. All 3 only manage 12" height. all 3 are imports. What would make the 513 or 513 anniversary version better? The version with cast iron wheels and trunions cost more. Thanks.
    I think anyone who has had good success with a machine tends to feel it is a good choice; "better" is subjective to some point. I have the no-longer-offered tweener G0513X. It is a G0513X2 without the CI trunnions that were added when reviewers pointed out their absence. I could upgrade for about $100 but, the CI trunnions use the same hardened metal teeth as mine and I have never noticed the lack of CI.

I do like the mass of the CI wheels but, that again can be subjective. Table size is close and they all will tension a 3/4" blade which is as large as I've ever needed (I actually prefer a 1/2" for resawing). Make a list of the features that are most important to you and this should thin the herd and allow you to make a decision. The rest of us may value different features and cannot specifically answer for you.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    (I actually prefer a 1/2" for resawing).
    That is also my preference and I think it is worth repeating. Do not feel like you are better off with a 3/4 inch resaw blade on these small saws. That may very well be a false assumption.

I'll chime in to say that, like Art Mann, I had a Craftsman Professional 14" that was very similar to the Rikon. Now I have the Laguna 14/12. Both are excellent saws. I could adjust both saws to cut drift-free (I'm a disciple of Michael Fortune when it comes to band saws.) They did everything I needed. I do not miss the dual speed that the Craftsman offered. I do miss the storage cabinet under the saw that the Craftsman had. The upper wheel bearing had to be replaced after about a year. The guide bearings were a bit of a pain to adjust. Still, excellent value for money.

The Laguna is a nicer saw by far. It has been my go-to saw for over a year now and I am very happy with it. It's more solid. The dual trunions and CI table really stay put. I like the ceramic guides and the dual-purpose fence. The Laguna can tension a 3/4" blade although I could resaw just fine with a 1/2" blade. I like the 12/14 blade release lever. The tension wheel is more convenient. Mobility base is very convenient. The light is not as useful because the upper guide assembly puts the work in a shadow and I keep bumping my forehead on it. The table height on the 14/12 is a bit low for me (I'm 6-1)

The Laguna did not come with both wheels co-planar. I feel that this was a serious flaw, but I was able to correct it in an hour or so. It's a bear to assemble unless you have help. Customer service was first rate for my questions when the saw was new and later when I had questions about using a 1/8" blade.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post

I have 220 in the garage but using it means I would have to swap my table saw cord and my band saw cord between uses which would be a pain.

Gregg, one option I have done when using 220 is put multiple 220 plugs on one circuit and plug in say 3 machines. I know the circuits can only handle one machine at a time but I only use one machine at a time anyways. That way you never have to go back and forth switching cords and having to plug them in.
    Also I have had all 3 brands of machines and my recommendation would be the Laguna.
    Good luck.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    You might be right Kevin. I'm curious to know what you're basing the opinion on - reading machine statistics, actual use (or testing) of all three, bad experiences with other machines from these importers, personal brand preference or something else?
    3" of additional throat depth is not insignificant.

I have a G0513 at work and another at home and we have a Rikon 10-326 at work (a student shop in a design college). The frame on the Rikon is not rigid which can lead to blade tracking issues (if you push on the table with one hand and the upper blade housing with the other you can deflect or twist without considerable effort - maybe they've fixed this, our saw is at least 5 years old). If Rikon has fixed the deflection it looks like there are some other improvements (fence, table tilt crank, guide bearings) that might make it stronger.

The cast iron goodies on the X2 versions of the G0513 are worth the added cost. If you don't get the resaw fence in particular, you will probably want to add it later.

I have not used the Laguna or even studied it closely, perennial support complaints about Laguna, and very mixed reviews of the ceramic guides come to mind any time I consider their equipment.
    Kevin Groenke
    @personmakeobject on instagram
    Fabrication Director,UMN College of Design (retired!)

All good points. I have been thinking about whether the additional features one saw adds over the other are real considerations. What I mean is just what you said in that if I immediately start adding or replacing items like guides or fences or what not then is it worth it. IE, the laguna comes with what appears to me to be a nice fence and nice ceramic guides but if they aren't as nice as the aftermarket ones and people end up changing them out then it may not represent the value I'm giving it. As you point out the Grizzly G513 isn't a good value if you end up buying the cast iron stuff later to make it the X2 version as it will cost way more. The x2 adds cast wheels, grunions and resaw fence which would run nearly $500 after the fact but add $200 at time of purchase.

I'm keeping my eye on craigslist but many of the listings are for old, old, old saws that are in poor condition; super small saws, or huge saws. The nice saws I'm finding are just not really priced low enough to not also consider all of these as it appears most listings are only a hundred or two less than new when the saw looks as new.

Lots to consider. Thanks for all of the comments so far and those to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Groenke View Post
    3" of additional throat depth is not insignificant.

I have a G0513 at work and another at home and we have a Rikon 10-326 at work (a student shop in a design college). The frame on the Rikon is not rigid which can lead to blade tracking issues (if you push on the table with one hand and the upper blade housing with the other you can deflect or twist without considerable effort - maybe they've fixed this, our saw is at least 5 years old). If Rikon has fixed the deflection it looks like there are some other improvements (fence, table tilt crank, guide bearings) that might make it stronger.

The cast iron goodies on the X2 versions of the G0513 are worth the added cost. If you don't get the resaw fence in particular, you will probably want to add it later.

I have not used the Laguna or even studied it closely, perennial support complaints about Laguna, and very mixed reviews of the ceramic guides come to mind any time I consider their equipment.
    Thanks for the update Kevin. It helps to have this background.

Greg, FWIW, I have not experienced any problem resawing on my Rikon (though I havent tried resawing a 10" thick oak timber either).
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 08-21-2016 at 6:14 PM. Reason: Add comment