Thread: Horizontal Mortising Machine

Horizontal Mortising Machine

I put this together last week. It's built primarily from 1/2" BB ply. The tables is 2-axis, in out, side to side. The t-track allows the clamp guide to be placed parallel to the fence, at 90 degrees or even at 45 degrees. (I still have a short piece of t-track to add...ordered) I closed in around the router base with some 1/4" ply, added a piece of 3/4" MDF for depth and epoxied in a collar for my shop vac hose. The vac got almost every chip on a test mortise.

A 5/16" bolt and knob on the underside of the fence provide fine-height adjustment. I power it with a PC 690 router in the fixed base which is bolted to the fence using nyloc nuts so that they don't vibrate loose. It works very well and my only regret is that I waited so long to build one.

HMM001_zpspllfgapz.jpg HMM002_zpsew78hkoj.jpg HMM004_zps8ubzwftf.jpg HMM006_zpsfonea9ym.jpg HMM005_zpssxtwrdbi.jpg
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Nicely done! I have one I used quite a bit that I got for a steal years ago. Lately, not so much.

They are really handy for certain types of work.