Thread: Need your opinion on " The Woodworker – The Charles H. Hayward Years 1939 - 1967"

Need your opinion on " The Woodworker – The Charles H. Hayward Years 1939 - 1967"

I am considering buying this book. Does anybody here own this book and be kind to post a mini review? I am particularly interested in what it covers and the depth of treatment. Since it is a collection of
    Magazine articles, I am wondering if $80 is a worthwhile purchase.

Cheers,
    Praki

Here's an earlier thead on this topic that should help you. It's from the archives.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...harles+haywood

Edit: Also, you can download a complete (and searchable) list of the articles in these two volumes on the Lost Arts Press website if you go to the description for these books.

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 08-21-2016 at 6:40 PM.

A terrific read. And a terrific buy. Worth saving up for.
    Paul

I was one of the first to receive it from Lost Art Press..... I,too, was wondering if it would be worth the Money. I would NOT sell mine for $80. These 2 volumes have EVERYTHING there is to know about ALL tools and how to maintain, sharpen and use them. It covers techniques for every kind of application. AND the depth of knowledge delivered is astounding. I've been developing my enthusiasm for woodworking since 1998 as I prepared for retirement. I've read magazines, text books and all matter of medium regarding woodworking....even took classes at Palomar College....and these two volumes impress me more than anything I've encountered. It' really hard to pick one up without spending some satisfying time with it. THAT is just an inkling of my impression of the CONTENT....the tangible quality of the books will cure any worry about their worth. The binding & paper is premium. The layout is the best I've seen with a thorough and complete CONTENTS format to make it easy to decide what you want to spend time with. They are remarkable...thanks for letting me REMARK.
    Don

Thanks guys. I read through the other thread as well. I will put this on my shopping list.

Praki

Vol 2, yes; but if you have basic knowledge and skills in hand tools, you have little to lose if you skip Vol 1. If you prefer a set, of course, you have to get the two volumes.

Simon

Somewhat off topic.

LAP might be onto something here that other magazine companies should pay attention to ... I hate subscriptions but I would purchase hardbound books of certain magazines best articles, minus the ads of course.

I have these books; not only is there a massive amount of useful hand tools knowledge (setup, maintenance, use, repair), there is some historical quirkiness ... it's not sandpaper, it's GLASSpaper. The burr on a chisel/plane iron is removed by a sideways swipe on the end grain or even the heel of your hand, not stropping. Stuff like this. It does unfortunately read like a series of magazine articles, so the repetition is there and you do have to be focused to find the extra value that similar articles possess.

I think this would be a really good resource for someone looking to put together a curriculum for hand tools at a school. Lots of teaching points, easily accessible.
    Last edited by Mark AJ Allen; 08-23-2016 at 10:36 AM.

Mark,

Let your fingers do the walking on Amazon: PWW, FWW, American Woodworker, just to name three, have all published compilations of previously published articles. Search them out as used and you'll find them for mere pennies, plus shipping costs.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    Mark,

Let your fingers do the walking on Amazon: PWW, FWW, American Woodworker, just to name three, have all published compilations of previously published articles. Search them out as used and you'll find them for mere pennies, plus shipping costs.
    Tony's right. I have some from FWW. Also, a couple of Chris Schwartz' books are reprints of his articles (and I think his blog, too but have to check that). There's tons of good compilations out there.