Thread: My ultimate router table

My ultimate router table

I’ve been wanting to get the Woodpeckers complete router table/fence but had a hard time justifying the $1000+ price tag. I finally decided it was time to get in gear and build my own ultimate router table. As any good woodworker would do, I started with some very detailed plans.

Plans.JPG

I then went and purchased the MDF and plywood I needed. Since I no longer have a truck I had to spend a little more and buy it in 2’x4’ sheets. This worked out for the best as I need rotator cuff surgery and these 2’x4’ sheets were heavy enough to handle. I then cut to size and cut the dados and rabbets.

2016-08-01 06.13.52-1.jpg

I then started assembly of the carcass.

2016-08-06 11.16.58.jpg 2016-08-06 12.05.16.jpg

I then cut the vertical dividers to size and worked on inserting them. I couldn’t have fit a hair extra in the dados.

2016-08-06 14.35.28.jpg 2016-08-06 14.51.02.jpg

Time to start on the top half. Note the air inlet on the left for the dust collection. That inlet is also just big enough for me to get my hand in to change the router speed setting when necessary.

2016-08-06 19.14.48.jpg

Ever mindful of not wanting the table top to sag over time, I added extra supports. I also added a trim piece on the right and left sides to prevent pencils or other tools from rolling off the edges.

2016-08-07 19.39.22b.jpg

Continued below...

It's a big fellow; looks like a lot of work.

Now it was time to cut the hole for the Incra router lift. I spent the $13 for the template to insure an exact fit. They recommended a 5/8” router bit (Whiteside K41) which I also bought. Unfortunately, that bit isn’t nearly deep enough so I got a Freud 5/8” x 1” tall bit which worked perfectly.

2016-08-11 19.25.41.jpg

As you can see, I used a double layer of ¾” MDF and spray on contact cement to join them together. A perfect fit.

2016-08-12 20.52.06.jpg

Next I added a band of pine trim to three sides of the table top.

2016-08-14 10.18.25.jpg

I also added a wire port to the back though nobody will ever see it.

I decided on the Porter Cable 75182 router as a dedicated machine for this table.

2016-08-14 09.10.16.jpg

Now I need to cut the dados for the Incra miter track and t-track. I did my test cut for the t-track and just before cutting the actual top I decided to make sure my Rockler accessories would fit in the Incra t-track…THEY DON’T. Back to Rockler to buy some of their universal t-track.

2016-08-14 10.44.31.jpg

2016-08-14 19.15.42.jpg

I now had to decide what I wanted to build for the fence. After what seemed like hours of looking at Pinterest, YouTube and various vendor web sites I decided to go to the local Rockler (no, they didn’t sponsor this build though they should have with all the trips I made there) and hope inspiration would strike. After gathering up the many aluminum components I realized that for about another $20 I could buy Rockler’s ready to assemble router table fence and it would have everything I wanted in a fence.

2016-08-18 18.42.58.jpg

Continued below...

I also installed the safety switch and dust collection hoses as seen above. I next added the face frame to the lower portion of the table.

2016-08-19 12.39.16.jpg

I then made four drawers for router bits. Two drawers for ¼” shank bits and two for ½” shank bits. I also made two other drawers for my various routing accessories.

2016-08-19 19.38.54.jpg

You’ll notice I used prefinished pegboard for the bottom of the two bigger drawers. I did that only because I had it on hand.

Next up was filling nail and screw holes, sanding, painting, adding drawer hardware (leftovers I had in the shop) and moving anything in my shop router related to my new ultimate router table.

2016-08-21 15.23.12.jpg

I may have gotten a little carried away with the organization of bits.

2016-08-21 15.22.56.jpg

2016-08-21 15.23.40.jpg

To give you a sense of the size the top is 2’x4’ and about 37” high. I made it this size because I can also use it as a small assembly table and someday when I get a new CMS I’ll build that stand to the appropriate height so this table can be support for that saw. I started out with a good idea of what I wanted but things certainly changed and developed as I was building. I still plan on building some type of organization in the upper center area but figured I will wait until I use the table for a while before decided how best to use the space.

I certainly saved money compared to buying the Woodpeckers but haven’t tallied everything up yet. This was my most difficult project to date but completely enjoyable and satisfying. I feel I can build anything now.

Thanks for looking.

Aaron

Looks great!

Excellent work, it does look great!

Nice work Aaron.
    Bryan Vaughan
    Independence, Mo.
    Avatar picture are grandchildren Forrest and Birdie.

Wow! That is super nice!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks everyone.

Aaron, In my opinion you did better than any router table you could buy. Looks great!
    Anyway, I am also planning to build a table even with my limited experience. Was considering a different approach: skipping the plate. (Maybe I am wrong, but don't see much use for it). Anyway, I was thinking of a tabletop on hinges with only a circle cut out for the 3 1/2" rings. The router itself will be supported by a subframe, not the table top. This way, I hope to prevent the sagging of the plate and the annoyance of leveling it.
    Last edited by Mike Berti; 08-27-2016 at 9:54 PM.

Thanks Mike. I think the biggest benefit to a router lift is the ultra fine adjustments you can make to the height...especially important when you have to use two mating bits. Be sure to post pics of your build.

wow - excellent work

K