Thread: Laguna LT16

Laguna LT16

followup to my inquiry yesterday
    I was lucky enough to pick up a Laguna LT16 from a local woodworker no longer working
    This level of tool is normally far beyond my reach so this is quite the treat for me
    I was very excited to find a "Meber" nameplate on the backside of the saw, nothing against Laguna but like all of you I have read the customer service reviews.
    Very nice build quality- great tactile feel on every part, no flimsy pieces. Much of my shop is Grizzly which I am thankful for and works well- but this Meber is just on a different level.
    12" resaw height - heck yes! Can't wait to cut me up some guitar tops.

The owner recalled upgrading the guides to the ones shown - anyone know what these are called in case I need to replace a worn piece?

It is currently wearing a high TPI 1/4" blade. I will change this out to a 1/2" 4 or 6 tpi asap. I have been gripping a WoodSlicer 3/4" in my drawer for years given to me by a friend. It is 10" too long for this saw so I will try out cutting and rewelding that - Silver solder according to one post on here seems to be the best.

no pics no saw - crappy cell phone pics sorry20160821_171756.jpg20160821_171809.jpg20160821_171935.jpg
    Last edited by Pat Pollin; 08-21-2016 at 9:18 PM.

Congratulations!
    I wasn't optimistic that you'd get the saw -- great prices don't stay long on craigslist, so posting to ask about it instead of heading straight out is often enough to miss a good deal.

You saved enough that you should be able to get a nice blade or two. (and figure out a solution for a fence)

Matt

current project just for added picture candy- 4 string jazz bass for myself Attachment 342752

I did get a stock fence with it, forgot to put it on for the photo. heavy cast piece - should work well but owner said he was not a fan and usually freehanded his resaws. I'll try both

Hi,
    I believe I have the exact same Meber saw as the one you bought. Yes you got a good deal on it. This is what Laguna marketed as the LT SEC which was the upgraded version of the LT16. The telltale upgrades that went with the SEC are the foot brake, the rack and pinion guard arm and the larger blue motor, which I believe to be 2.5hp. The guides might be an upgrade also. 130" blade length?

For years I regretted not buying the LT HD made by ACM and here on this forum you'll find a loyal following of the high powered, very expensive Gucci, Louis Vuitton, and Prada bandsaws. Here's a story though, I took a one day bandsaw class with Michael Fortune who runs a successful artisan shop and writes extensively for Fine Woodworking. He proceeded to debunk many prevalent theories about bandsaws and the need for a souped up boutique saw costing thousands. Instead he showed us how to tune and adjust the saw (one time for the table adjustment and no more drift), and how to get very good results with inexpensive Starrett or Lenox carbon steel blades, even in exotic woods. I tried out all of his recommendations, including technique recommendations and have gotten accurate, reliable, repeatable results with that saw and now the thought of upgrading never even crosses my mind. I've resawed to full capacity and never bogged the saw down and I've also done my share of scroll work down to a 1/8" blade successfully. Of course, a lot of this depends on type and quantity of work you do.

Tune it properly and I'd surely say you have a winner. By the way, the guides you show are euro guides. You probably have them on the bottom too. Mine came from Laguna on the saws and are going on 17 years. I clean them up every few years, lap the faces, thrust bearings too, but honestly they don't need much maintenance attention. I have some documentation from Laguna I can send you on how to adjust the lower wheel if you find the blade to be tracking too far forward or back. I upgraded the fence to the Kreg fence, and have been satisfied. I thought the cast iron stock fence was a little crude for fine work. Congratulations

Good for you Pat!

finally put on a power cord
    first mini-resaw
    old 1/4" 14 tpi blade - far from a resaw blade
    3" red oak , using the stock fence
    sliced off a veneer all four corners measuring 0.081, 0.080, 0.078, 0.077 ...wow!
    I program precision CNC machinery all day and I am impressed with the accuracy off of this un-ideal blade.
    Now I believe the previous owner who said he didn't use a planer after resaw just hand plane/sanding.

Good news!

Nice find on the bandsaw. I had the same guides on my 2001 LT18; the upper thrust bearing seized to the shaft about the same time Laguna had a special on the Resaw King and upgraded ceramic guides, so I made the switch. If yours are working fine, keep sawing. If you ever decide to switch to ceramic, Laguna should have the proper ones to fit your machine.
    Mine has been trouble-free since 2001.
    Have fun and watch those fingers.

Mike if you have a moment to post a photo of your ceramic guides I am interested in seeing what they look like, Laguna web page is pretty rough and doesn't show much.

Pat - here's a link to the Laguna ceramic guides.

Your euro guides have been standard on European bandsaws for decades and work well enough.

The Laguna guides are pricey for what they are and Laguna's service hasn't changed for after sales service and parts. Still poor at best, and that's being kind. Just used them last month.

If if you want a new CNC machine , they'll fawn all over you.

http://www.lagunatools.com/accessories/bandsaw-guides

Congratulations on your purchase. Use it in good health. It's a wonderful saw.