Thread: Matsumura Dovetail Chisels

Matsumura Dovetail Chisels

I just recently picked up a couple of Matsumura White Steel Dovetail Chisels from Craftsman Studio. I got a 3/16" and a 3/8". I figured those two sizes would cover pretty much all of my dovetail needs.
    So I have to say, I am impressed! They hone like butter on my Dan's. They feel good in my hands even though the handles are small. They feel delicate and precise. And they cut like no other chisel I have. I haven't used them enough to get a good feel for how well the edges hold up, but the 3/16" made it all the way through the box I was making without seeming to lose one bit of sharpness.
    This is my first Japanese tool experience. So far so good.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

I have their bench chisels and love them. I actually bought a couple of Ashley Iles MK2 for my dovetails but I couldn't imagine the Matsumura would disappoint.

I chose the White Steel because of the edge it can take. Since these are just for dovetails, I am not so concerned with edge retention as I am overall sharpness and ease of quickly touching one up that starts to loose that edge.
    But then, as I said, these are my first Japanese tools. Although I did some research, I obviously didn't have any first hand experience to go on.

Stew Hagerty

Blog Entries
    Fair warning, they will not be your last Japanese tools
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Fair warning, they will not be your last Japanese tools
    That's is possible. I do like these so far. Chisels are one thing, but I don't know about planes. Pulling a plane somehow just seems wrong to me. Besides, I already have a very nice collection of both vintage and new handshakes. Now chisels, on the other hand, I currently have three sets of Narex. I have a set of bench chisels, a set of mortise chisels, and a set of long paring chisels. While I do like them, especially the mortise chisels, I realize that they are definitely not top of the line.

Stew Hagerty

Can the owners of these chisels help me out with a question? I'm wondering if the lands on the sides actually disappear, or if not, how big they are at the cutting edge. Looking at the picture online, I can see that there are definitely lands in addition to the main bevels.

I was thinking about picking up one of these chisels, but the lands is the deciding issue for me. Thanks in advance.
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Hagerty View Post
    That's is possible. I do like these so far. Chisels are one thing, but I don't know about planes. Pulling a plane somehow just seems wrong to me. Besides, I already have a very nice collection of both vintage and new handshakes. Now chisels, on the other hand, I currently have three sets of Narex. I have a set of bench chisels, a set of mortise chisels, and a set of long paring chisels. While I do like them, especially the mortise chisels, I realize that they are definitely not top of the line.
    Stew, have you tried one of their Dozuki pull saws? I definitely got hooked on them for times I need a backsaw equivalent.
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Stew, have you tried one of their Dozuki pull saws? I definitely got hooked on them for times I need a backsaw equivalent.
    Fred
    I have not. I do however have the Professional Dozuki from Lee Valley. I do have a fair number of western saws, vintage Disston and Mathieson of Glasgow, that I use all of the time. However, I have found that I do enjoy using the Dozuki for small parts and extracting cuts.
    So I guess I was wrong. These chisels are NOT my first experience with Japanese tools. I have used the Dozuki for so long that I don't even think about it anymore.

Stew Hagerty

Derek Cohen has a very useful video on how to make the lands disappear. I followed his example (except I just free-handed it). Now I need masking tape to either prevent or cover my finger cuts.
    Best wishes,
    Metod

Quote Originally Posted by Metod Alif View Post
    Derek Cohen has a very useful video on how to make the lands disappear. I followed his example (except I just free-handed it). Now I need masking tape to either prevent or cover my finger cuts.
    Best wishes,
    Metod
    Do you have a link to his video?

Stew Hagerty

Stew,
    Try this: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/
    To my eyes, Derek has a lot of great information there.
    Best wishes,
    Metod