Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Firmer Chisels

Firmer Chisels

Today I spent some time free hand honing a set of 6 WM Marples Firmer Chisels with Boxwood Handles. Early Sheffield Steel. Excellent quality.

No steel hoops on the end of these chisels handles, so they need to be struck with a wooden mallet.

If your wondering what's in the wooden box. Its a set of 7 WM Marples Firmer Chisels that need to be freshly honed.

Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 08-23-2016 at 12:21 AM.

Those are some very nice chisels. Kind of a do anything but dovetail chisels and better for it too. Stout enough to do most operations.
    Jim

I agree - nice set, look like they fit nicely in the hand. Do they? Also, how old do you think they might be?
    Im also interested in their box - I like the way the chisels are held in place, with pegs at the front and a catch/bracket at the back. I think I'll copy that. Thanks Stewie!

Fred.

Blog Entries
    When I was just getting into hand tools, I thought they were mortise chisels. In that day, mortise chisels were not common. The square edges did a credible job.
    The local tool stores just did not offer mortise chisels.
    I still have two of them. I don't use them much, but I will not let go of them.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 08-23-2016 at 8:45 AM.

Hi Fred; the boxwood handled Firmer Chisels are listed in the following WM Marples & Sons 1930 - 1939 Catalogue Listing; page 5, item 317. Courtesy Toolemera.com. http://toolemera.com/bkpdf/MarplesCat1938.pdf

The chisel handles have an excellent shape and fit within the hand. The Australian Cedar box I made for the set of 7 chisels has a slide plate installed opposite the leather honing block, to allow the chisel backs to be flat honed.

Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 08-23-2016 at 9:04 AM.

I have several of those older boxwood handled Marples firmer chisels too. My "go to" set of chisels is my old set of bevel edged Marples chisels with ash handles,bought about 1964. All the work I posted here was made with those chisels,where chisels were needed.

I do not advise buying NEW Marples chisels. Some makers have gone to making their chisels SOFT to not get sued by a shard breaking off into someone's eyes. From what I have read,Marples MIGHT(repeat MIGHT) have gone that way. I can't be sure. I have always found Sorby chisels to be too soft,even older ones from the 60's. I had to re harden some older Sorby lathe chisels that we had in the toolmaker's shop. Then,they were o.k.. My old Marples are just fine,though.
    Last edited by george wilson; 08-23-2016 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I do not advise buying NEW Marples chisels. Some makers have gone to making their chisels SOFT to not get sued by a shard breaking off into someone's eyes. From what I have read,Marples MIGHT(repeat MIGHT) have gone that way. I can't be sure.
    George, you don't advise buying them because they might be soft and you don't know for sure? That seems kind of a poor reason not to buy them. Maybe if you knew for sure they were soft. Does anyone have any data about this? Otherwise it seems a bit of a stretch to indict them based on lack of real info.

A workmate bought bought a set and I demonstrated their inferiority in a test with MY chisels. That's what friends are for!

I have a love-like relationship with these chisels. I love the looks of the boxwood handles, but they are not an ideal shape for pushing. There is no rest to push against. I have a set of cranked and straight gouges, which I have used a good bit. I would still like to have a set of bevel edges chisels with these handles, just because they are so damn pretty. I am such a chisel-whore!

I also wonder how the steel of these iconic English chisels stacks up against the steel of a similar USA iconic chisel, the Stanley 750.

This is a set I re-handled in (West Australian) She-Oak (1/8" through 1") ...

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 08-23-2016 at 12:55 PM.

Pat,since I do not own a set of new Marples blue handled chisels myself,I felt that I could not give an actual experience based judgement about them. To be fair with Marples,I just stated that I have read MORE than several posts attesting to their softness,which is true. Are you finding some reason to deprecate what I have to say?

There are members who seem to rely upon my advice,so I have to be careful what advice I give,and only tell the truth about my own experience with products.

I see that Mel has had some actual experience with them. Does that help you?

I HAVE used Sorbys,even older ones that had been in the former "backup shop" for decades. They are always too soft.
    Last edited by george wilson; 08-23-2016 at 1:15 PM.

Pat,since I do not own a set of new Marples blue handled chisels myself,I felt that I could not give an actual experience based judgement about them. To be fair with Marples,I just stated that I have read MORE than several posts attesting to their softness,which is true. Are you finding some reason to deprecate what I have to say?

There are members who seem to rely upon my advice,so I have to be careful what advice I give,and only tell the truth about my own experience with products.

I see that Mel has had some actual experience with them. Does that help you?

I HAVE used Sorbys,even older ones that had been in the former "backup shop" for decades. They are always too soft.
    I've also heard the same thing about modern marples, for what it's worth.

Also, while it may not be a big deal to some people, apparently they have plastic handles now, which is a big turn off for me.

Luke,after I have heard the same thing about new Marples chisels from many different people,I think it is perfectly reasonable for me to say that I wouldn't recommend them. And,I think you agree with that. I did NOT say "DO NOT BUY THEM!" I just said I can't recommend them. I don't know what Pat is trying to prove.

as far as I know they all do have blue plastic handles. If I didn't like them,I'd just remove them and turn some wooden ones IF I thought the chisels were worth the effort.

The ugliest handles I have seen are those huge honkers on the Swiss paring chisels. I have a set,and still haven't decided on the style of handles I want to make for them. I started making a set of octagonal boxwood London pattern handles for them,but decided that I just don't like the feel of them. I'm still undecided.
    Last edited by george wilson; 08-24-2016 at 10:10 AM.

...I think it is perfectly reasonable for mer to say that I wouldn't recommend them. And,I think you agree with that. I did NOT say "DO NOT BUY THEM!" I just said I can't recommend them. I don't know what Pat is trying to prove.

Subtle difference in understanding and statements between "I do not recommend this because I have heard negative things that I did not bother to substantiate" and "do not buy them". I expect that the subtle difference is between perpetuating unsubstantiated rumors, fact, and where in between does your knowledge sit. Your second statement sounds more like "I know lots of people who found them poor".

And no, I am not joining the fray.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    Subtle difference in understanding and statements between "I do not recommend this because I have heard negative things that I did not bother to substantiate" and "do not buy them". I expect that the subtle difference is between perpetuating unsubstantiated rumors, fact, and where in between does your knowledge sit. Your second statement sounds more like "I know lots of people who found them poor".

And no, I am not joining the fray.
    For all the things I love about SMC, there is this one thing that sometimes makes me want to walk away.

Someone offers their point of view or something they would like to share and someone else comes along and starts trash talking the person who had in essence said, "I can not advise on the purchase of or the suitability of this product." Also stating, "I do not know."

Then someone comes along turning it in to a metamorphosis of an across the board condemnation of the product and challenging the poster at the same time. I do not like this when it happens to me. I do not think it should happen to others.

There have been many posts about blue handle Marples chisels not holding an edge. Use the SMC search box on > marples chisel soft < to find these posts.

I have one 1/4" blue handle Marples chisel. I can not claim its inability to hold an edge gives me an insight into every other Marples chisel.

The blue handle and its associated discomfort is enough for me to not advise purchasing them. I do not know! Maybe you will like the handle.

It would be a lot better to not challenge the messenger. Instead offer your own experience or what you have heard as to why the product may be better than its reputation.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Well,Jim,some people just like to TRY to cause me trouble. I couldn't care less. What I said was ,as you point out,perfectly reasonable.