Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Firmer Chisels

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    On a side note, it would be convenient at times to have electrical outlets like the ones in at least Australia and England with the switches for each outlet. (these appear in Stewie's original post of this thread)

One lamp fixture in my shop doesn't have and individual switch and requires being plugged in or unplugged to turn it on and off.

jtk
    Google "Leviton 5225"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Google "Leviton 5225"
    Thanks Malcolm. That is a single outlet with a switch. For my purposes it would need to have two outlets. It may be something for future consideration to change out the box to hold a switch to control the outlets.

There are a few things that could use some changes in my shop wiring.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Some people just like to nit pick! And,from what I HEAR,Pat is one of them. Again,this is from what I HEAR. I'm not advising anyone to NOT vote for him for president (probably better than the exisiting candidates anyway)!! Let's see what he can make out of THIS post!!!

I didn't make any mistake,Patrick. What mistake do you think I made? I meant exactly what I said about the Marples chisels.If dozens of members complained that they are too soft,it JUST MIGHT BE TRUE!! I do make mistakes sometimes,but not on this issue. When I make mistakes,I admit it,and usually apologize.

Jim,your kind words are much appreciated. So are the others who have been supportive.
    First off George, I love you! I enjoy hearing of your exploits as a young fella in Alaska, right on through the colonial period til today.

I have been told that I can be a bit strong-minded from time to time. Nit picking may or may not fall into that category. As far as running for president, that's not gonna happen obviously as I would quickly tire of the press/politics/second guessing of everything, but I do none-the-less intend to hold on to and practice my rights to respectfully disagree with whoever (whomoever?) we choose to elect this year.

A related question: I have seen chisels just like the OP posted referred to as "sash mortise chisels." (Of course they were narrow ones). I have several Buck "firmer" tang chisels which are somewhat thinner in section than those. I have some slightly stouter Sorby chisels that were sold (Woodcraft c. 1985) as "registered mortise chisels." I am unclear about the nomenclature.

Are they called "firmer" chisels because they are firmer than chisels that are thinner in section but not beveled? Or firmer than beveled? Registered?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Carroll View Post
    A related question: I have seen chisels just like the OP posted referred to as "sash mortise chisels." (Of course they were narrow ones). I have several Buck "firmer" tang chisels which are somewhat thinner in section than those. I have some slightly stouter Sorby chisels that were sold (Woodcraft c. 1985) as "registered mortise chisels." I am unclear about the nomenclature.

Are they called "firmer" chisels because they are firmer than chisels that are thinner in section but not beveled? Or firmer than beveled? Registered?
    The nomenclature of chisels is not a 'cut in stone' standard.

One thing I have read in the past was all it meant to be a firmer chisel is one that could be hit with a 'firmer' blow.

Registered mortise chisels, if my memory is working, means the sides are parallel as opposed to being slightly tapered as in the case on many mortise chisels.

Here is another place to look:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...al-wisdom-FAQs

In section #4 Bob Smalser posted an article on chisels. It may be missing some images. As I recall he used an off SMC photo storage site and those old links may not work or the images may have been deleted from the site where they were stored.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by David Carroll View Post

"Registered" simply means that the chisel has parallel sides. Firmer chisels are therefore inherently registered.

Sash mortise chisels are basically heavy-duty firmer chisels in overall shape/pattern. I have however seen such chisels with tapered sides, so they're not all registered/firmer strictly speaking, though I may be splitting hairs here.