Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Firmer Chisels

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Pat,since I do not own a set of new Marples blue handled chisels myself,I felt that I could not give an actual experience based judgement about them. To be fair with Marples,I just stated that I have read MORE than several posts attesting to their softness,which is true. Are you finding some reason to deprecate what I have to say?

There are members who seem to rely upon my advice,so I have to be careful what advice I give,and only tell the truth about my own experience with products.

I see that Mel has had some actual experience with them. Does that help you?

I HAVE used Sorbys,even older ones that had been in the former "backup shop" for decades. They are always too soft.
    Like I said, the way you presented your initial recommendation was merely heresay. Not deprecating anything at all about you or your advice. Let's just not delve into gossip and pose it as substance. No offense intended. Now everyone is piling on me.
    Last edited by Pat Barry; 08-23-2016 at 5:46 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Like I said, the way you presented your initial recommendation was merely heresay.
    Be careful what you say, people have been burned for that:

Heresay.png

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Be careful what you say, people have been burned for that:

Heresay.png

jtk
    Heresay, maybe should have been hear-say. Didn't mean heresy.

You spelled it right,Pat. But,who is "everyone"? I only see Jim "piling on"to you.

I don't agree that it is here say when many,many posts(as well as Mel's just a little above),say that the new Marples are too soft. This is one of those issues that have been discussed several times over recent years here,and on other fora.
    Last edited by george wilson; 08-24-2016 at 10:11 AM.

Blog Entries
    My experience with blue handle marples is a mixed bag. There are characteristics I like. The edge is a comfortable edge to work with. The problem is the steel is a bit soft and the edge has to be honed to keep it sharp. I used them in Paul Sellers classes I attended. There was a diamond hone and leather charged with compound. When the edge needed touching up, you went and hit the edge a few strokes and then honed it on the leather. You went back to your bench and continued working. I do something like that now except I'm using LN chisels and the honing compound is on mdf.

I still like the feel of the blue handles and do use them occasionally.

For all the things I love about SMC, there is this one thing that sometimes makes me want to walk away.

Someone offers their point of view or something they would like to share and someone else comes along and starts trash talking the person who had in essence said, "I can not advise on the purchase of or the suitability of this product." Also stating, "I do not know."

Then someone comes along turning it in to a metamorphosis of an across the board condemnation of the product and challenging the poster at the same time. I do not like this when it happens to me. I do not think it should happen to others.
    +1. Well said Jim.

You spelled it right,Pat. But,who is "everyone"? I only see Jim "piling on"to you.
    Watch me smoothly replace Pat as the target.

He didn't spell it right. It's "hearsay", not "heresay" (Pat) or "heresy" (Jim).

You engage in hearsay when you "hear" something out of court (or the forum in this case) and then you turn around and "say" the same thing in court without having directly witnessed the event in question. It's inadmissible in most circumstances (for a classic exception see "dying declaration") because the defense is prevented from confronting the accuser and because the original statement wasn't made under oath.

Note that if you hear someone say "I did it, I killed them" you can testify to the fact that they said it without engaging in hearsay, as the event you're testifying to is the admission of guilt, which you directly witnessed. OTOH if C hears B say "A shot me" then that would be inadmissible hearsay coming from C (unless B died thereafter as a result).
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 08-25-2016 at 1:22 PM.

For all the things I love about SMC, there is this one thing that sometimes makes me want to walk away.

Someone offers their point of view or something they would like to share and someone else comes along and starts trash talking the person who had in essence said, "I can not advise on the purchase of or the suitability of this product." Also stating, "I do not know."

Then someone comes along turning it in to a metamorphosis of an across the board condemnation of the product and challenging the poster at the same time. I do not like this when it happens to me. I do not think it should happen to others.
    I basically agree with you. George's post was reasonable, and I think a couple others over-reacted, but...

You can't take this stuff personally (and yes, I'm fully aware that I sometimes do). Everybody makes mistakes, and when we make mistakes on a forum it often ends up looking like what happened here.

Some people just like to nit pick! And,from what I HEAR,Pat is one of them. Again,this is from what I HEAR. I'm not advising anyone to NOT vote for him for president (probably better than the exisiting candidates anyway)!! Let's see what he can make out of THIS post!!!

I didn't make any mistake,Patrick. What mistake do you think I made? I meant exactly what I said about the Marples chisels.If dozens of members complained that they are too soft,it JUST MIGHT BE TRUE!! I do make mistakes sometimes,but not on this issue. When I make mistakes,I admit it,and usually apologize.

Jim,your kind words are much appreciated. So are the others who have been supportive.
    Last edited by george wilson; 08-25-2016 at 1:49 PM.

I didn't make any mistake,Patrick. What mistake do you think I made? I meant exactly what I said about the Marples chisels.If dozens of members complained that they are too soft,it JUST MIGHT BE TRUE!! I do make mistakes sometimes,but not on this issue. When I make mistakes,I admit it,and usually apologize.
    Well, you hadn't made a mistake, but you just did by replying that defensively to my post without having actually read it .

I said "George's post was reasonable, and I think a couple OTHERS over-reacted". Note emphasis.

I am too full of pain killers to know what anyone is saying right now!!

But,I doubt that this nit picking is helping the original intent of the thread anyway!

I am too full of pain killers to know what anyone is saying right now!!

But,I doubt that this nit picking is helping the original intent of the thread anyway!
    Very true, and that was the point I was trying to make in #23 before I got all cute and clever in my reply to you.

As I've said before, I appreciate and value your opinion and contributions. Given your depth of experience and the extent and quality of your connections within the woodworking world I value your hearsay for that matter, which is why I thought your original post was useful. This isn't a court of law, you made it clear that you were relating "indirect experience", and I think most folks here are smart enough to weight that appropriately.

w.r.t. painkillers, been there done that. I *hate* being fogged out. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Blog Entries
    w.r.t. painkillers, been there done that. I *hate* being fogged out.
    +2 on that!

I tend to put up with the pain instead of dealing with the side effects of the medications. I have worked with my doctor to lessen the number of medications I take everyday. This started when I noticed feeling better on the days I would forget to take my pills.

Watch me smoothly replace Pat as the target.

He didn't spell it right. It's "hearsay", not "heresay" (Pat) or "heresy" (Jim).
    I may have been remiss for not including a smiley with my post. I did include an image of the dictionary to indicate what it came to with "heresay" in the search box.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries
    On a side note, it would be convenient at times to have electrical outlets like the ones in at least Australia and England with the switches for each outlet. (these appear in Stewie's original post of this thread)

One lamp fixture in my shop doesn't have and individual switch and requires being plugged in or unplugged to turn it on and off.

jtk

There have been many posts about blue handle Marples chisels not holding an edge. Use the SMC search box on > marples chisel soft < to find these posts.

I have one 1/4" blue handle Marples chisel. I can not claim its inability to hold an edge gives me an insight into every other Marples chisel.

The blue handle and its associated discomfort is enough for me to not advise purchasing them. I do not know! Maybe you will like the handle.

It would be a lot better to not challenge the messenger. Instead offer your own experience or what you have heard as to why the product may be better than its reputation.

jtk
    Actually, I have participated in countless forums over the years, and SMC is one of the most civil and friendly communities that I've ever been a part of. I was actually pleasantly surprised when I joined.

I think that we must be careful of misinterpreting people's intentions too, though. Some people react very differently to statements -- one person may perceive that he's just being factual and offering information, whilst another might interpret it more personally or emotionally as if that person is attacking him or someone else, when that wasn't the intent.

And, in any case, strong opinions are always present with any subject.