Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power supply help

Power supply help

Hi folks,

I have a 5 year old D Win 80 watt laser engraver. Suddenly there is no cut (burn?). The carriage follows the program as if it is cutting but there is no cutting beam coming from the lens. Could it be a power supply problem or possibly some other type of malfunction? Is there a help source for this problem. Is there a test that can be done? Is there a source of help for me in the San Diego area? D Win is pretty much useless here. His English was bad even when he was courting me for a sale. Now that I he is done with me he is beyond comprehension. Any possible help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Len Laviolette
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 08-23-2016 at 6:12 PM. Reason: Removed personal website link per TOS

On the Dwin site there is a Matthew in service, have you made contact with him.

Do you have a multimeter/Ammeter.

Might just be the tube.

You stated there is no Cut (burn) is that in the vector mode only, does it work in raster mode.??
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

alternate theories; door interlock safety switch, if any? E-stop button accidentally pushed (been there done that with 2 different machines)? Another switch? - My machine has a 'laser' switch on the side, spent half a day once looking around before I noticed it was off!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Kevs on the money, no fire but moving means it's an interlock most likely
    You did what !

Thanks Mark, I know so little about this that I can't even answer your questions. I only use it in Vector mode lately. By no cut/burn I mean that there is no laser beam emitting from the lens even though the carriage is following the prescribed path. Are there any tests described anywhere that can help me troubleshoot the issue. I am willing to pay for help if I can find it. Thanks Mark.

Is there a flow sensor?

Is there a test button on the power supply?

Does the PS have a fan? Is it still working?

Have you had to increase power and lower speed to cut through familiar material?

Thank you for the help. I need to learn more about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    alternate theories; door interlock safety switch, if any? E-stop button accidentally pushed (been there done that with 2 different machines)? Another switch? - My machine has a 'laser' switch on the side, spent half a day once looking around before I noticed it was off!

Thanks so much. I will try to figure this out. These ideas help.

9. This clip will show you how to test the PSU as well as basic tube testing. The PSU test and and first two tube checks are easy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz4ln4_vT3g I had an issue where I had movement but no beam and used this clip to troubleshoot the PSU. My issue was a blown surge thermistor on the PSU.

DO NOT try the resistance test on the tube (the third tube test) if you aren't familiar with this kind of test. It's mega high voltage and easy to get hurt, or worse if you aren't familiar.

I must admit that I can't answer your questions. The power and speed ratio has not been an issue. The power has been pretty consistent. Most of my laser projects are pretty repetitious and I have not seen a decrease in performance other than the complete stop of the burn. I did not see anything that looks like a test button on the power supply.

11. If you can't get it going from the clip I posted you should get someone to help. A good way to do that is go to a local makerspace and ask if they have anyone either on staff or know of a member that can help. There is a large makerspace in the San Diego area called Maker Place. http://makerplace.com/ It's common at makerspaces for members and/or staff to be familiar with laser engraver/cutters as it's one of the most in demand machines in the shop.

Thanks for this Dave. Very helpful. I will look at it. I will avoid the tube test thanks.

Great idea. Thanks.

Yes I did not know what an ammeter was. The built in ammeter shows no dial movement at all. I guess it means the power supply is dead. Thanks.
    Last edited by Len Laviolette; 08-25-2016 at 1:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Laviolette View Post
    Yes I did not know what an ammeter was. The built in ammeter shows no dial movement at all. I guess it means the power supply is dead. Thanks.

Nope, it just means the high voltage PSU isn't getting a trigger signal, that could be the PSU but given the mode of failure I'd say it's an interlock like a door switch or flow sensor. Most likely door switch as when they fail the machines runs but with no beam
    You did what !