Thread: Anyone Attending IWF?

Anyone Attending IWF?

Just wondered if anyone is attending the IWF with week in Georgia.

Yes. Flying down Thursday morning.
    Andrew J. Coholic

I hear it's quite hectic. Perhaps you will meet Erik there. Let us know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    I hear it's quite hectic. Perhaps you will meet Erik there. Let us know how it goes.
    It will be my 3rd trip to the IWF. I think its an amazing show, and certainly gives me a million new ideas for materials/machinery/methods/hardware/tooling etc as to where my business can grow.

Often I see things at a show I like and think will fit our business, and implement it in the next year(s).

Even if you are a smaller custom shop like mine, it is well worth while IMO.

Hectic, yes, but you should always go with a list of things you want to see and discuss with certain vendors. Take care of that and then you can spend the rest of the time just looking. Amazing place for those with a passion for the woodworking business.
    Andrew J. Coholic

Drove to ATL today. Going to show tomorrow and Friday. There is no way to see show in one day.

I live in ATL, so I might try and make Saturday. I'm working on a few projects, so I'm not sure if I'll have enough time.
    Blood, sweat, and sawdust

Well, a half day yesterday and all day today.. Still more that we didn't get to see yet. All day tomorrow yet.

There is always something new to discover.
    Andrew J. Coholic

I look forward to seeing the videos on all of the new tools etc. that's about as close as I will get to Atlanta during this time of year.

What was the final opinions of you attendees?

HUGE SHOW! Machines in machinery hall took up a small city block each. Most everything was trending towards CNC. Lumber vendor's lumber was PERFECT! No knots, crooks and sanded to 220 grit. Wish they sold that kind of stuff at local lumber dealers. Made the precut stuff at HD look like pallet wood. Lots of Pacific rim vendors. Lee Valley, DeWalt, General, Saw Stop, and Bosch were there. CMT, and Freud along with many industrial blade vendors showing. Great show, just not much for the "mom and pop" cabinet shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    What was the final opinions of you attendees?
    Well, I had a super time. Lots of positive energy there, it seemed. We had two good flights down on Thursday. Spent the afternoon browsing, attended the international reception for drinks and food afterwards. Got to see several people I know well in the industry (meeting friends is a big part of the show for me).
    Friday and Saturday was busy, long days but we got to see everything - and spend time where I was scoping out new potential purchases for our shop. Decided what to spend the $$ on based on what we need and what we can do without. Much easier after seeing things in person, especially considering where I am.

Good night out with the main machinery company I deal with and their guys, and another good meal Friday night. Attended one decent course for a few hours as well.

And two uneventful flights home Yesterday. Today I was re-energised and full of new ideas, etc back at work. Ill be thinking about going to IWF 2018 soon enough, lol.

I still think it is such a great opportunity to see so many things, in this business, from the smallest to the largest. Anyone in the woodworking business can go home with something learned IMO. I saw tooling I had no idea existed. New hardware items. Tools and jigs etc that will certainly make my life easier in the future. Plus a few other things like a new design power feeder, decided finally on a tiger stop for my saw and a shop cart for moving material to and from the panel saw (that I actually was looking at two years ago and sort of forgot about).

Well worth the few days off of work, the travel costs and food, etc for a few days. For me, anyway.
    Andrew J. Coholic