Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coring fun for" Creekers"

Post length is 5 and 7/8 ths.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

2. Quote Originally Posted by Tony De Masi View Post
    Post length is 5 and 7/8 ths.
    Yours is not the Max3 system, correct? The Max3 comes with 3 knives, and I think they fasten to the frame in a different way if I saw the pics correctly. The Max3 also does a 17" core..........according to the info on Packard's website it is for lathes up to 25" swing.

edit: I just looked at the Timberly website [Terry Scott] and they list the max size bowl as 18"

http://www.timberlywoodturning.co.nz...owl-Saver.html
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 08-25-2016 at 3:22 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger, I had a chance to talk to Allen at Packard today, and he took a measurement for us. The Max3 uses its own, different post, not the 6" post used on the standard model. The measurement from bottom of the post to the height of the cutter is 7-3/4". So, by my estimate, that will mean that the post will extend into the neck of the G0766's redesigned banjo only 1". I think that will likely be enough, given the added stability from the tailstock quill. Let us know what you find when yours arrives.

Another solution would be to use your original banjo (with the taller neck) that shipped with the first few G0766s, before Grizzly sent everyone the redesigned banjo kit. That is, if you ordered parts for your original to replace those that were needed to transfer to the new kit. I did that for eight of us here for $21/each. Having the second banjo adds flexibility.

Coincidentally, I was at a turning session at a fellow club member's shop this evening and another member had just received her Max3 system today. She was trying it out. It does look very well made and fairly easy to use.

4. Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    Roger, I had a chance to talk to Allen at Packard today, and he took a measurement for us. The Max3 uses its own, different post, not the 6" post used on the standard model. The measurement from bottom of the post to the height of the cutter is 7-3/4". So, by my estimate, that will mean that the post will extend into the neck of the G0766's redesigned banjo only 1". I think that will likely be enough, given the added stability from the tailstock quill. Let us know what you find when yours arrives.

Another solution would be to use your original banjo (with the taller neck) that shipped with the first few G0766s, before Grizzly sent everyone the redesigned banjo kit. That is, if you ordered parts for your original to replace those that were needed to transfer to the new kit. I did that for eight of us here for $21/each. Having the second banjo adds flexibility.

Coincidentally, I was at a turning session at a fellow club member's shop this evening and another member had just received her Max3 system today. She was trying it out. It does look very well made and fairly easy to use.
    Thanks for the info, David. Mine is supposed to arrive today sometime, so I will check it out. The fact that there is a tailstock morse taper that locks this whole thing in, and the post locked in, I do not see a problem with it. this keeps the system level, and stable.

5. Woodcut Max3 -more pics

Okay, UPS delivered my new Woodcut Bowl Saver Max3 this afternoon. Here are pics of it on my G0766 with it set up properly, for David and others who were wondering about the post length. It will work just fine with the upgraded banjo that Grizzly sent 0766 owners, and with the 1.25" into the banjo neck and the morse taper 2 in the tailstock, this thing is rock solid.

IMG_0870.jpg IMG_0869.jpg IMG_0871.jpg IMG_0867.jpg IMG_0868.jpg

I think this Woodcut Bowl Saver Max 3 will be a great addition to my turning arsenal, and will allow me to save figured woods that would have been turned into shavings. In time the investment will pay for itself with sales of the nested bowls and the cost of woods, although most of my wood is harvested by myself and friends. The literature that comes with it says bowls from 3" up to 18" can be cored with this unit. As you can see, it has 3 knives.

This is a quality coring rig for sure! I think it is probably the easiest to use, and has less fatigue factor with it than others, and the cost is significantly less as well than the Oneway Easy Core.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 08-26-2016 at 3:23 PM.

Bump...

got any cored bowls yet?

curious turners want more info on this thing.

C

7. Quote Originally Posted by Clint Bach View Post
    Bump...

got any cored bowls yet?

curious turners want more info on this thing.

C
    Yep....did one set of 3 bowls the other day........the largest being about 16 inches out of spalted maple. That large bowl is still in the chuck, as I found some cracks in it, and have had to fill them in order to even finish the rough turning. I think this wood is dry enough to finish now, and it has some pretty punky areas in it. This was one of the two pieces that Tony De Masi gave me when I visited his place.........he basically pulled the tarp off his stash, and told me to have my pick, so this was one of them.

It is going to be a bear to get sanded down to a good finish, and will take a lot of effort, but the wood is so nicely spalted I am going to work at it. The other two bowls are about 11 inches roughout and 7 inches roughout diameters.

O btw, I really like the performance and the clean cuts on this Max3 unit.........way better finish off the cutter than that McNaughton Tony had, and way, way easier to use. I liked it so much, that I went back and ordered the laser unit for it, and it is supposed to arrive next Tuesday.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 09-02-2016 at 8:38 PM.

8. Just to drag up an old thread and give some additional information. On another thread I posted a pic of my G0800 24" lathe, and that same post fit well, and the whole platform was stable and I cored some big wood with it. I had to reset the post collar for center on my G0800, which is a little higher than on my G0766, but the Max 3 works well on both lathes.

IMG_Max3Coring1341.jpg

The 'McNasty' would work better if the curves on the blades were true. The tips go straight rather than follow the curve, which is the biggest problem with them.... I may have to make my own.... Been pondering that for some years now.. I did core a good sized Madrone bowl last night. It has been a while.

robo hippy