Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My First Router(s): One midsize model vs trim & large combo

My First Router(s): One midsize model vs trim & large combo

Now that my table saw has arrived, my next purchase will likely be a router. My novice hobbyist needs are, for now, pretty basic. I mostly intend to use it for roundover and chamfer edging but might eventually get fancier with ogees and the like. I've been reading into it for a while and there doesn't seem to be a lot of consensus on the topic. On one side many people suggest getting a midsize 2-1/4 HP combo kit with a stationary & plunge base as it's the most versitile. On the other, some say that these types of routers don't excel in router table mounts, and that I'm -really- going to want to do most of my routing on a table anyway. And if I'm going to be routing on a table, it seems to make sense to get on of the 3+HP behemoths that have integrated through-the-table lifts as separate add-on lifts can be expensive. That, combined with a handheld trim router, would seem to cover the bases better without being -too- much more expensive than a single midsize. So, I'm thinking maybe I can start with a DeWalt 611 stationary & plunge kit for my basic edging and get the 3HP Triton and a table when my needs expand? If that's not the wisest route I'm all ears.

I have a DeWalt 611 2 base kit and I like it. I also have a Craftsman variable speed 2 HP plunge router that I found at a local pawn shop to use in my router table until I could decide on a big motor. It's been a couple of years now and I haven't bothered to upgrade the Craftsman. 2 HP works for me.

John

Id say start with the 3.25HP one in a table (Id recommend going with the tried and true Porter Cable 7518 for that one) and the DeWalt 611 kit for lighter handheld stuff. Youll figure out sooner or later if you could really use a mid level handheld router should the 611 ever not serve you well at a handheld task. FWIW I have a Porter Cable 7518 motor only in an Incra lift in a table, a Bosch 1617 kit for heavier handheld stuff and a DeWalt 611 kit for lighter and trimming work.
    Last edited by Ben Rivel; 08-24-2016 at 5:53 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I use the Dewalt DWP611 "compact/trim" router far more than I do any other router, especially for edge profiles! I do own an older craftsman (hardly ever use), a Hitach M12V in a table, a Dewalt DW618PK fixed/plunge combo, as well as a Bosch 1611. I prefer that little Dewalt, and probably use it 10/1 over the rest. Of course, it has limitations (1/4" shank, only 1.25hp), but it is a great tool. I used the 1611 in the table for a bit, now it sits around. Planning to sell it and the M12V here very soon, and put that money towards a Triton for the table.

Personally, I feel that one of the mid-range router kits with multiple bases is a good place to start. They are reasonably light for hand-held work (not everything can be done with a table) yet have enough power to work in a table for anything other than swinging the really large cutters. My "kit" is the DW618 and even though I probably use my Festool OF1400 more often for hand-held work these days, that DW618 gets pulled out to do certain things where a smaller, less top-heavy machine is easier to handle...hinge mortises, dovetails with a jig, etc., with the fixed or D-handle base.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use a small hand-held router for most hand work and the larger 3.25 router in a table. They're easier to learn how to use and much less expensive. The disadvantage is many of the smaller ones only use 1/4 bits.

Paralytic analysis.
    Get one of the kits (2 castings one motor), play and then make judgements on next machine.

I've had a 2-1/4HP router in my table for years and never needed more. Unless you're going to be doing some really heavy work, a 2-1/4HP will work fine.

I'd recommend buying a 2-1/4HP kit, which would contain a fixed base and a plunge base as a first router. Over time, if you need it, you can get a small router.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have both a 2-1/4 and 3-1/4 router mounted to plates that drop into my table. I use the 2-1/4HP router 90% of the time. For basic edge details, it's hard to beat a small trim router.

A 2-1/4 HP kit with two bases will be your most versatile option, and is a good start. Then grab different ones as you need them. Before you know it you'll have 4 or 5. You can't have too many routers.
    Gerry

JointCAM

Start with a kit. You'll wind up like the rest of us with 5+ on a shelf before you know it. I made a lot of furniture with a cheapie hitachi 2hp kit.

I love my Festool but that's a bit steep of a buy in for a newbie. Have the big PC router in the table. Keep an eye out for those, you can get just the motor (don't need the base if you're just going to keep it in the table) for around $275 semi regularly.

If you want versatility, choose the combo kit.
    But, if you want to maximize for the stated near-term need, your thought to get the DW611 is sound.

I like trim routers for flush cut bits, light roundovers, light chamfers, and light mortising for hardware.

I like the mid-size routers when I need to take a heavier cut mid-panel (dados and deep mortises), or for dovetail jig.

I use the mid-size in my router table.
    I don't have a battleship router. I would get one if I did more heavy profiles.

Matt

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    95% of all router bits are 1" or under and don't require a big monster router to spin them around. I would suggest, as others already have, a mid size router with plunge and fixed base like this one:http://www.dewalt.ca/en-ca/products/...er-kit/dw618b3
    I believe the kit used to include an edge guide in the past, at least mine did.
    When you start buying router bits try to buy bits with 1/2" shank rather than 1/4" if possible as they lock better in the collet and don't vibrate as much and try not to buy whole kits as they usually only include very few bits that you actually use and are a waste of money in my experience.

Related question: What kind of cuts call for plunge bases and would a 1.25HP trim router with 1/4" bits be up to them? I see even trim routers come in combo base kits now.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    A key hole in the back of a picture frame comes to mind, although it is possible but cutting precise mortises with a fixed base router can be a bear.
    With access to a single router I wouldn't limit myself to 1/4" shanks which would be IMO the one major drawback of a trim router. Also, the lack of power to spin, even insert, any door or raised panel bit or bowl making bit.
    They sure have their place but they are not that versatile. You may also want to watch Gary Rogowsky on YouTube.
    These are only a few ideas popping up before my morning coffee

I think it depends on what kind of work you plan to do. A 2+ h.p. kit is probably the most versatile. The small 'trim' routers are handy for things like hinge mortises but as noted are limited to 1/4" shank bits. A 2 + h.p. motor in a table is perfectly adequate for edge profiles, rabbets, slots and such. If trying to swing something like a 3"+ horizontal panel raiser you'd need to take several shallow passes and a 3 h.p.+ machine would be a much better choice. I use either a Bosch Colt or 3.25 h.p. table mounted machine 90% of the time but that's because I haven't been doing larger work where a hand held router works best.