Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tom Clark Practical Shop Cabinets Book

I just re-read my above post and it does come off a little harsh. I apologize for offending anyone; I had had a bad day entitlement-wise and was frustrated. Sorry.

Chuck, your comments were fine, assuming it has been several weeks since you mailed the money order. I still don't see why someone who wants his book though can't just follow his instructions. If he is losing business by not accepting PayPal, credit cards, foreign currency, etc. I think that's his prerogative. I seriously doubt he's trying purchase a yacht thru these booklet sales. That's all. As I said earlier, I followed his posted instructions and received the book about a week to ten days later. I don't know him, he doesn't know me. If there have been many problems then I could see negativity justified, but I'm not aware of any.
    I'm going away now, won't offend anyone any further.

Oh well . . .

I know we Americans are not used to acceding to a seller's wishes (and one who does it only his way), but, as someone who has benefited immensely from Tom Clark's very basic book, I suggest (if you are baffled by cabinet-making) you (the buyer) just break down and follow his purchase instructions. You'll be glad you did. If you are successfully making cabinets now, don't bother.

I bought his book several years ago and made 3 cabinets for my shop. Here are some pictures.
    Remember the book is about making simple shop cabinets not show pieces
    I hope that photobucket link still works, haven't used that for a long time. That was a 12 drawer cabinet.
    Cheers,

Tim

P1030613.jpg

P1030395.JPG

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p209/timwillift/Pic1443.jpg

Received the book today. Funny, the postal order went to the New Mexico address on the website, but the book was postmarked El Paso, Tx. 2 e-mails asking if order was received remain unanswered. guess he's not a social type. Have read the book, some good ideas. I will build and test them.

Chuck

I wrote my check to Tom on 12/24 so the envelope most likely left my mailbox on 12/27. I received my book in todays mail. Three weeks, but at the holiday time of year. Maybe Tom was out and about in his motor home star gazing. Makes no difference to me, I got what I paid for and was not in any dire need to build a project when I mailed the check.

I purchased a copy over the holidays as well. Took about 3 weeks.

If anybody is willing to part with their book, I'll paypal the funds to them. I paypal'd funds to Tom and emailed him. He told me to request the money back since he doesn't accept paypal anymore. I couldn't request the money back due to how I sent it. The rest of my emails went unanswered so I'm not sending him anymore money. Anyone willing to sell their used instructional booklet, pm me and I'll send the money to you.

Blog Entries
    Are there actual plans or just techniques and suggested plans?

Quote Originally Posted by tim walker View Post
    Are there actual plans or just techniques and suggested plans?
    I'd say it's techniques. Although, in my mind for a novice woodworker, there's stuff missing even from the techniques. Tips & techniques and you'll likely have questions that aren't answered which will more than likely be minor details. However, I am glad I purchased it as it's made me feel like I can get started and I'll learn as I progress. That's my $0.02.

Do you know of a few good alternatives?

I want to build functional cabinetry for my dental office (rolling tool carts with power plugs), since most dental stuff is super expensive and poorly made.

Also, I need to make a drill press stand for my 200+ lb Walker Turner.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Milan Kothari View Post
    It appears the paypal link is not working. .
    Does PayPal ever work these days. I'm pretty disgusted with them.

I've never had a problem. (Knocks wood)

Matt--I've got a few cabinets coming up, and having watched Marc Sommerfeld's videos a few times I think i'll be using his techniques as a basis. I picked up a lightly used set of his cabinetmakers bits from a fellow recently so that will make it easier to buy higher grade ply. For a dental or medical office--do you have any restrictions on materials to be able to sanitize? My former dentist (retired) is a woodworker and he had a lot of stands and tables around the office that he'd built, but none for his equipment--it was all production stuff.
    earl

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Does PayPal ever work these days. I'm pretty disgusted with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I've never had a problem. (Knocks wood)
    Yea really, me neither. Had my account for over 15 years and use them daily. Always been great for me.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!