Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tom Clark Practical Shop Cabinets Book

Tom Clark Practical Shop Cabinets Book

It appears the paypal link is not working. Does anyone know if Tom is still selling this book? Did anyone receive it recently? Any suggestions on how to order? Mail check to the address on site? Thanks.

I mailed a check a few weeks ago and received the book in the mail. No problems.

Thanks Allan.

Can someone who has purchased this book provide some details about it please? Are these all/mostly face frame cabinets? I'm thinking about purchasing it and don't want to end up feeling like it was wasted. Any feedback is appreciated.

I actually sent the money via paypal and haven't seen the book show up. I'll let you know my thoughts when/if it arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    Can someone who has purchased this book provide some details about it please? Are these all/mostly face frame cabinets? I'm thinking about purchasing it and don't want to end up feeling like it was wasted. Any feedback is appreciated.
    The website is still up but he specifically says he no longer takes Paypal.
    http://www.tomclarkbooks.com/Practic..._Cabinets.html
    I had a copy of the book for years and it is a good primer for someone without a lot of experience building drawers, cabinets and plywood boxes. I recently gave my copy away, but as I recall it's a mixture of face frame and frameless designs, with more of it tending to be frameless.

I know this is an old thread, but...
    I e-mailed Tom to see if he's still selling the Cabinet book(found an e-mail address on one of the forums), and if he's fixed the issue with PayPal, and got a terse reply that order instructions were on the website.
    I fumed for a few days and broke down and sent a Postal Money Order. Several days later, no status on the money order at USPS site, and an e-mail to Tom, to see if he received it, has gone unanswered.
    I have searched the forums where he has posted, and no recent activity anywhere. Is he still on this side of the grass?

Chuck

why is he making it hard to buy? That's a pretty major barrier to sales.
    If he doesn't like the fee PayPal charges, I think most potential buyers would pay a few percent extra for the convenience.

I ordered his book in late Oct. this year-2016, and followed the instructions on his website site. Sent a personnel check, and 3 sentence note requesting the book and mentioning the good comments on SMC. The book arrived 7-10 days latter. A little bs might help, if your inclined.

Bill
    Bill

" You are a square peg in a square hole, and we need to twist you to make you fit. " My boss

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    why is he making it hard to buy? That's a pretty major barrier to sales.
    If he doesn't like the fee PayPal charges, I think most potential buyers would pay a few percent extra for the convenience.
    Seriously, it always blows me away when people like this running small businesses selling products like eBooks, plans, drawings and other non-value goods complain about the 2.75% fee Paypal charges. I mean, are you kidding me?! Charge 3% more for your product if you didn't figure in enough margin to yield the profit you expected from selling a product that cost you nothing but your time and make it convenient for your customers because its only losing you business!

...end of rant.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Seriously, it always blows me away when people think someone, anyone, must conform to THEIR wishes over everything else. If it's so hard to stick a check in the mail, maybe with a short note, then they apparently don't need the product so much. Jeez, folks, get over yourselves. The man developed a booklet after getting tons of questions and requests about his cabinet building procedures. He's not Amazon. I don't know him at all, but a few weeks ago I sent for the booklet, enclosed a note about being a member here, and a check made out according to his instructions. Got the booklet about a week later. I REALLY don't see the problem.

... end of rant

Give me a break! As I stated, e-mailed asking if the book was still available, and it took a week for him to respond.
    No sign of any recent activity on this or any other forum he was on.
    Lots of small business owners just disappear. Thought maybe he's having health problems or something. If not a health or other problem, maybe he's made so much money he doesn't have to respond to customers now... Don't know if you don't ask...
    I was also going by others saying they had quick response... From what I've seen of his postings, he's friendly and supportive, not the impression my experience is giving me...
    Not really a rant, but...

Chuck

13. I am a lost sale because there are few things I hate more than writing checks and putting them in the mail. (I am an actual lost sale, looked to buy it a while ago, and stopped when I realized what was needed). I would happily have paid a few percent more. Obviously he can run his business how he likes, but he's leaving money on the table.

My thoughts exactly, Brian. I am retired, on a couple of slim pensions and SS, so I don't have a lot of dosh to throw around. I'm very cautious about spending my meager funds. I hesitated to send a money order into the nether. Would have felt better if he had responded to my first e-mail a tad more friendly, and to my second e-mail that he had or had not received my order.
    I'm not trying to infer I was conned, just looking for re-assurance that I'll get what I purchased.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    Seriously, it always blows me away when people think someone, anyone, must conform to THEIR wishes over everything else. If it's so hard to stick a check in the mail, maybe with a short note, then they apparently don't need the product so much. Jeez, folks, get over yourselves. The man developed a booklet after getting tons of questions and requests about his cabinet building procedures. He's not Amazon. I don't know him at all, but a few weeks ago I sent for the booklet, enclosed a note about being a member here, and a check made out according to his instructions. Got the booklet about a week later. I REALLY don't see the problem.

... end of rant
    I honestly didnt even know people still used checks... Everything I buy, store, online, etc, every bill I pay (and I have a lot) I have never needed to write a check. Dont think I even HAVE any? Between credit cards, automatic bank transfers, Bill Pay, I dont understand why anyone would want to use a less secure method of payment as well as rely on the postal service to get it there and pay an additional fee in the form of a portage stamp for all that "convenience". Heck I have had my Paypal account for almost 15 years now. I mean its not like its something new. And I bet more people use Paypal these days then write checks. So its hardly confirming to a small amount of peoples "wishes". Its just modern business.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!