Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ipe? Bloodwood? Something else

Blog Entries
    Ipe is the color of milk chocolate powder. It has very little grain color variation and it weathers to a grey color.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I salvaged wood from crates and pallets shipped from Peru that had similar wood used. Also had bloodwood, lots of purpleheart and lots of wood similar in appearance to your sample and also has a sweet aroma when machined. Hard and dense and looks good with a natural oil finish. Not sure what species.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Ipe is the color of milk chocolate powder. It has very little grain color variation and it weathers to a grey color.
    Ipe can also be quite reddish and green, too, and depending on the part of the tree it was cut from, can have some grain whirling around. However, I'll take back my thoughts on this being ipe...the color does seem a bit too pinkish plus no yellow sawdust. So I have no idea. Bubinga sounded better but I haven't looked at my bubinga in a while so I could be off there, too.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Possible it's apitong? I scored some "Asian mahogany" that was too hard for my saw. Cabinet shop resawed and milled 8 boards and said it was apitong. Looks similar to that.
    Last edited by Patrick Irish; 08-26-2016 at 11:20 AM.

Looks like Jatoba-aka Brazilian Cherry, but your note on the smell makes me think it possible that it is Santos Mahogany, though that species tends to have a bit of purplish tinge to it.
    It does however have a very distinct smell- much more so than many of the others mentioned- almost irritating the first time you work it, but becomes more pleasant with further exposure. It is a balsam, so it is very aromatic.

I have worked with Apitong and African Mahogany. I think it is the Mahogany.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214