Thread: Adventures in Making Hardware - The Butler's Desk

Blog Entries

Adventures in Making Hardware - The Butler's Desk

Good morning! The butler's desk is nearing completion, but there are a few details left to finish, the primary one which has been lingering in my mind for quite a while is the stay for the desktop. While historical examples leave it out, I've been nervous that the desk could be damaged by opening it and letting it flop down without the supporting drawer extended.

In order to counter that I've begun building a stay out of 360 brass using a Bridgeport mill and some basic hand tools.

https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/...king-hardware/

Click the above link to see the full story.

Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Brian; excellent work shaping the parts for your brass stays, kind of wish I had a milling machine available in my workshop. And a metal lathe would also be handy.

Brass combined with darkish timber are traditionally an excellent combination in tool making aesthetics.

cheers Stewie;

Blog Entries
    Thank you Stewie!

The mill is out at my father's shop, which is a short drive for me but still prevents me from using it more often, however I plan to make more of my own hardware. All told I spent less time designing and building my own solution than I did hunting for viable solutions online.

I'm finishing the brass with a blueing agent, but I completely agree that brass and dark woods look quite nice.

Beautiful and thoughtful work as always, Brian. Thanks for sharing this, can't wait to the grand finale!

Take care,
    Kevin

Looking interesting, Brian. This is the path I had to tread with the Lingerie Chest, so I understand the concerns you have. I am looking forward to seeing your solution.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Thank you both!

You probably spent just as much time as I did searching for an existing solution, I was surprised by how few there were once you remove the historical approach (large quadrant hinge). I suppose it makes sense that most would take the historical approach, but it would not work in my case and so I had to venture further.

The historical approach requires the pivot point to be the nearest inside edge at the break between the desk and bottom panel, I chose to have the pivot point at the center of the door bottom (hard to describe) because I did not want visible hardware on the desk surface and in doing added much difficulty to the project.

I actually ended up ordering all kinds of solutions and returning all of them, lol.

I like it Brian! Metalworking can be just as much fun as woodworking, allthough it asks for a different mindset, Everything goes a bit slower somehow.

Every household should have a milling machine and a good lathe!! Just as important as a washer and dryer!!!

Blog Entries
    Haha, absolutely!

Thank you both!