Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I don't mean to destroy your romance with sharpening . . .

Blog Entries
    The first and third photos are finished in shellac. The last one is a finish from the plane, no additional finish is needed.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    With all this knowhow, why is it modern man cannot as yet make a blade that compares with the Samurai ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    With all this knowhow, why is it modern man cannot as yet make a blade that compares with the Samurai ?
    Laminated steel japanese chisels. Not sure if they make them anymore, but I recall a FWW article in the early 90's where they did a huge comparison test of all the brands - from Sears through Footprint through Marples all the way to the laminated steel jap chisels, and they did Rockwell hardness tests and the Jap chisels came out on top with the steel recording a Rockwell hardness of C 66, while the Sears chisels barely had enough carbon in the steel to even be hardened. Might as well use a screwdriver than use Sears chisels.

I drooled over those Jap chisels. Do they even make them any more? That was a long time ago in a non-internet galaxy where FWW magazine was my only hope, Obi-wan.
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

Quote Originally Posted by John Blazy View Post
    I have a feeling that I will be ostracized from this sub forum with my viewpoints.
    You clearly have not read the classic thread on the "one stone challenge"!

"Sharpening ceremony " : The means by which the dullard is made sharp. Look up Dunce cap,interesting serious stuff,and kinda like razor blades under pyramids.....the evidence is mounting !

Ok, after this love fest it's time for some cold and hard facts!

First, 90 seconds to refresh a chisel edge is plenty long. And your method doesn't seem very efficient, at least it takes me more effort to remove the burr on a coarser stone then on a fine polishing stone. And yes, Japanese chisels are still being made and using a hollow grind on them is sacrilege!

Oh, and everyone knows that oilstones are the only valid choice, the rest is just modern distraction.

Yes, they are still making "Jap" chisels. 400+ years running!

I spend about 10-13 seconds on an 8k or 16K stone right off of the 1k. No regrets thus far.

He must be Patrick's offsider. Chase & Blazy

I drooled over those Jap chisels. Do they even make them any more? That was a long time ago in a non-internet galaxy where FWW magazine was my only hope, Obi-wan.
    John, you've clearly been too busy building your company and need to slow down some to read more SMC . Been lots of discussion of japanese chisels here. Just the other day, someone (Stew Hagerty?) started one about a couple white steel dovetail chisels he bought. Maybe its time to reward yourself and buy a really nice set!

I sure enjoy seeing posts of your work - especially thatt boat.
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    Ok, after this love fest it's time for some cold and hard facts!

First, 90 seconds to refresh a chisel edge is plenty long. And your method doesn't seem very efficient, at least it takes me more effort to remove the burr on a coarser stone then on a fine polishing stone. And yes, Japanese chisels are still being made and using a hollow grind on them is sacrilege!

Oh, and everyone knows that oilstones are the only valid choice, the rest is just modern distraction.
    Ok, I just timed myself on the 1-1/2" Greenlee in the pic below just now, and without rushing took me 72 seconds to grind down a nick, then waterstone to shave my arm. Then hit the rouge wheel to bring up the shine, and if I wave it through the air fast enough I can split the nitrogen from the oxygen. Good on ya to keep me true, Kees!

Yeah Fred, I think someday I'll treat myself to a set of laminated steel chisels. And you bet I'll know where to look for reviews. But God, I love my ancient Stanley mortice chisel and the Greenlee below. When I bought the Greenlee at a flea market for a buck fifty, missing the handle and covered in "bottom-of-the-toolbox" black grimoxide, I tapped it, and it rung with as much sustain as a Les Paul, so I knew the steel kicked some serious ***.

And the reason I'm not on the forum enough? Second picture. Just spent Mon - Wed on it, going on it tonight, and plan to scuba dive off it in Michigan to hunt for Petoskey stones in September. You can't overestimate how fulfilling building your own boat is, so I always encourage woodworkers to build their own. You get invited onto hundred foot yachts for the stuff Jimmy Buffet dreams about.
    9-1-decktrimming.JPGGot Mahogony-bluebirddocks.jpg
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

Ok, I just timed myself on the 1-1/2" Greenlee in the pic below just now, and without rushing took me 72 seconds to grind down a nick, then waterstone to shave my arm. Then hit the rouge wheel to bring up the shine, and if I wave it through the air fast enough I can split the nitrogen from the oxygen. Good on ya to keep me true, Kees!
    Wow, you were huffing nitrous the whole time? Because otherwise the oxygen isn't bonded to the nitrogen...

Got me on that one, Patrick. Although I do breath Nitrox sometimes, and not nearly often enough.
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc

Andrew, You crack me up!

SMC is better the comedy central !

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Now that could get you a few blocks of wood tossed your way. There are some very capable women who often inhabit this cave.

jtk
    Capable of making things scary sharp and dangerous ;-)

I remember that FWW article comparing chisels. The Sears ones were the worst,as mentioned. They were made in Holland,and only had about .50% carbon. Just enough to harden,but very poor on abrasion resistance. So,they didn't retain an edge well at all. I'll bet they saved at least a PENNY on every half dozen chisels they made!!