Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I don't mean to destroy your romance with sharpening . . .

That would depend on WHO made the chisels for Sears, as Sears never made a single tool, ever. Always a contract was let out every now and then. You stood about as much a chance of the chisels being Stanley No.60 clones as you did a PEXTO one. Just the way Sears did every tools they sold. Sold, not made. Just the same as a tool bought at Montgomery Wards.

I have three Sears labeled chisels, and three marked as Stanley No. 60......other than the silk screen labels on each, they are the same chisels. Meh....

FWW mentioned that the chisels they tested were made in Holland.

I think everyone knows that Sears never made any tools.

Remember guys/gals he said "I love pretty much all woodworkers" so not all woodworkers. Hang him!

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I remember that FWW article comparing chisels. The Sears ones were the worst,as mentioned. They were made in Holland,and only had about .50% carbon. Just enough to harden,but very poor on abrasion resistance. So,they didn't retain an edge well at all. I'll bet they saved at least a PENNY on every half dozen chisels they made!!
    This is what happens when you let accountants run things, right?
    Last edited by Luke Dupont; 08-26-2016 at 2:49 PM.

I have no romance with sharpening, it's just a task in my shop that requires me to move quickly and efficiently to a sharp tool edge so that I can get on with the romance of building my designs in wood and metal.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Dupont View Post
    This is what happens when you let accountants run things, right?
    Don't get me started on the bean counters...

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fournier View Post
    I have no romance with sharpening, it's just a task in my shop that requires me to move quickly and efficiently to a sharp tool edge so that I can get on with the romance of building my designs in wood and metal.
    Kin I git a witness !!!
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

He may have meant that he loves 'pretty woodworkers', which would certainly narrow down the number!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fournier View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John Blazy View Post
    Kin I git a witness !!!
    Canadians don't lie

I like this thread! Thanks for starting.

This whole point is exactly the reason I am moving to a grinder and two Spyderco stones with free hand sharpening without a honing guide. Perhaps I can go down to even one stone. This is the system Derek and several others here have been advocating. As with most things in life any fool can complicate things, but experience, wisdom and sometimes genius are needed to simplify.

Do I need a "sharpening altar" to perform this "sharpening ceremony" that you speak of?

I might have to watch the movie "Romancing the Stone" again for Kathleen Turner, er I mean sharpening tips.

-Tom

Hello.

My name is Robert.

I love to sharpen.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    With all this knowhow, why is it modern man cannot as yet make a blade that compares with the Samurai ?
    Modern man can make a blade to compare with the Samurai. Nobody wants to pay what it would cost to have someone make it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    With all this knowhow, why is it modern man cannot as yet make a blade that compares with the Samurai ?
    In terms of edged tools I think research will provide that blacksmithing was improved by smiths who brought science to the art. There are also a few making katana in the traditional methods, which were and are incredibly refined.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.