Thread: Cutting Board for My Daughter

Cutting Board for My Daughter

My daughters birthday is today so this was a bit of a rush job. She will get it on Saturday.

Piece of Maple (I think) 11/16 thick and v carved with a 30 deg bit. Then filled with 2 part epoxy mixed with brown paint. Thought about using Bar Top material but it didn't seem like it was setting up with the paint in it. It did overnight, but I had already done the epoxy.

Pretty happy, except I thought I would 'partially' fill with clear to cut down on mixing the colour and getting it the same over multiple batches. The paint thinned it quite a bit, and I thinned it more using some M.E.K. so it was pretty runny. Just poured it on, and then ran it through the planner again. The flourish on the bottom is a bit "lite" as I think I overfilled the clear just a bit too much.

One other thing, I used 5 minute epoxy (it was all I had last night) and there is just not enough time to work with it, hence the need for multiple batches. Have gotten some 30 minute stuff for next time, and probably could do it in one mix.

Otherwise, really happy with the colour and the way it turned out.

Oiled and bees waxed - makes for a nice feel.

Tammy's Board - 3.jpgTammy's Board.jpg
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

It turned out really good. I like odd little projects like this.

Thanks for sharing the tips.

I think it looks nice! Good job.
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram