Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Patrick Edward Bench?

Opinions on Patrick Edward Bench?

I've got a some time to work on the shop and was considering a two sided bench influenced by Patrick Edwards bench.

http://woodtreks.com/design-build-tr...eg-vises/1651/

I've got a collection of iron vises so will probably fit a pattern and cabinet makers vices in some configuration opposite the Roubo side.

I'd appreciate hearing any thoughts on this type of bench before I commit to making room for a small aircraft carrier of a bench in my shop.

Thanks Woody
    Last edited by James W Glenn; 08-25-2016 at 9:37 PM.

I watched the video.And I think it's a nice bench you should make one if you can.
    Have you tried old brown glue? It's good stuff but kinda expensive.
    I also noticed he has a tormek super grind.The sign of a true master.
    I liked the suggestion about roughing up the bench top.

Aj

What is your space like? I considered a similar bench, but settled on having two, with one against a wall and at a higher height. The Edwards design commits to having it out in the room, and even if the leg vise was removed and pushed against the wall, it would be a quite deep bench.

Also, FWIW, I toothed my bench for a while based on that video, but have gone back to a smooth top--easier to keep clean.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

This is the rough plan I'm working towards. Everything will be movable if not mobile, as I will have small boats and canoes in the space occasionally.

Blog Entries
    I do understand his interest in having both a northern European bench and a Roubo, but frankly I would chose one or the other.

I have a big bench but if I had the space I would like to have a narrow and long bench instead with an assembly table. I may shorten the depth of my bench at some point and assemble things on a pair of heavy saw horses. The really wide bench is more prone to seasonal movement causing it to come out of flat, so while the wide bench was a nice idea it's proven to be a bit of a hassle that would be easily cured by being no more than 20" wide and quarter sawn.

The shoulder vise is handy but a leg vise and a seperate clamp are just as capable.

I have an in-between on the surface finish, which is that I use a jack plane to level it out, then take most of that out with a smoother and once that is done it's good.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

My first world problem is having too many metal vises and wooden screws collected. The top would be split, 5 1/2 x 16" fir glue-lam on the Roubo side and a maybe a thinner laminated top on the Patternmakers side to work with the metal vise mounts. I need to find or recreate my sketches, but the I wasnt clear on what to do for the tail vise corner on the Patternmakers side. One thought was to offset the bench halves 24"and hang the Emmert vise as an end vice. That would give me a narrow bench section at each end. The total width of the 2 bench tops would be around 36".
    Last edited by James W Glenn; 08-26-2016 at 7:44 AM.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the shoulder vise. I would instead use a Moxon vise or a bench-on-bench. I find it raises the work to a more comfortable height when sawing vs the shoulder vise. This would greatly simplify your construction.

If you don't agree with that, then you could consider replacing the leg vise with a twin screw face vise. FWIW, I have a leg vise and find the stooping to adjust it a little awkward. It has tremendous clamping power, but you have to shim the bottom or use a self-correcting glide device when making large changes.

As for the tail vise, it is nice to be able to hold things vertically in for some sawing or planing ops. But the central position of that opening makes it an awkward location when doing that. For work holding when planing, a wagon vise will do just as well as a tail vise. The benefit of the wagon is that the screw handle is fixed relative to the end of the bench, so you don't require clearance on the end of the bench. You'll get about 1ft less capacity with a wagon than a tail, but that hasn't been an issue in my experience.

I would consider adding is a small, right-handed face vise on the opposite side from the main face/leg vise. This will only work if the screws can clear each other. The benefit is more options for work holding when sawing or holding bench hooks.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 08-26-2016 at 9:17 AM.

Here's a quick sketch.

hybrid bench.png

Could you build as two that bolt together. Or both go along your wall on the right. I'd be concerned about that large of a bench in the middle if you know you'll need to be moving things around.

Good problems to have
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Being able to have 2 separate benches crossed my mind. I would have to have two basses and a very rigid connection between the two benches to keep things coplanar. The bench on the wall is a built in monstrosity built around a 20' gluelam. I have a lot of second guesses about that one as far as its depth. I may reconfigure the base to bring it closer to the wall but I like the idea of a 20" tool tray all along it leangth, I hope it will be an effective clutter trap for all the bits and pieces and little projects I always have scattered around.

12. Quote Originally Posted by James W Glenn View Post
    [snip] ... I like the idea of a 20" tool tray all along it leangth, I hope it will be an effective clutter trap for all the bits and pieces and little projects I always have scattered around.
    Oh, fear not!
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Blog Entries
    The idea of a bench with multiple work holding solutions is very appealing.

One of my thoughts is if ever I build a bench is to make one that is ambidextrous.

One of my biggest impediments is getting rid of all the stuff that just seems too dear to let go. It is amazing that last year a few years accumulation of wood scraps was used as firewood. It didn't kill me and there are still more scraps than can be used in a lifetime.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

James
    First I would like to say that Patrick Edwards is an extremely talented man who wears many woodworking hats. In order to do his work he needs many holding fixtures. The bench is the tip of the iceberg, just look on his blog. I see you do some boat work. I can see your need for many vises. I don't know if that bench would work for you only you would know. My bench for several years is a 30" wide adjust a bench set up left handed on one side and right handed on the other. I really like it and have all four vises in use at times. I have another bench similar to an English style that I seldom use anymore. A bench is such a personal thing that it is difficult to give much advice about. I would guess that Patrick Edwards bench would serve you well with all the other things you have planned.
    Jim

Heres a narrower simpler version.

hybrid bench.2.png