Thread: Crosscut sled help needed

Crosscut sled help needed

Hi I posted this on another site but since no one has replied I thought I would ask here and see what I get.
    I have a question my wife bought me some of the incra buildit kits. I decided to use them to build the bridged cross cut sled as shown here. http://www.incra.com/info/bridged_crosscut_box_002.pdf I have evrything i need to build it like the plan, but i wanted to incorporate one of the incra shop stops that I also have an extra of. I need to purchase a piece of the 36” track that works with the incra stop, but i am not sure how to mount it all up. I would like to put it on the top like the plan shows using the regular t-track plus, but not sure if i can do it like this. http://www.incra.com/manuals/track.pdf shows it mounted a different way. has anyone done one of these? any advise or tips to doing it? can I mount it on top instead of the track used on the plan? if so what size board do i mount it to? same as the plan or different height and thickness? thanks

Scott

Unfortunately, it's 2am right now ( I did 2nd shift tonight) so I won't be out in the shop until the am, but I think you are looking at two different "vintages" of Incra T-tracks.
    I have an Incra Miter 2000, and an Incra made Drill press table with an Incra fence. Both use the Incra Stops. The stuff I have would very easily adapt to the top of a cross cut sled. I can take all the pictures you'd like, but I don't see why it can't be done. The limiting factor will be the length of the bar stop on the Stop itself.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Thanks Mike! I purchased the Incra shop stop when I bought the t-track plus thinking it was going to work together. I found out it wouldn't. I would have to purchase the incratrack to work with the stop. I am not sure how it is all going to fit together since I have not actually seen the incratrack in person. The pdf on it makes look like the rear fence would need to be a different height or thickness from the plans on the sled. Which I don't have a problem with, just wanted to make sure it could even be mounted in this fashion. I did not have to have a 3.5 inch rear fence just to find out the stop only sticks down an inch or 2 due to the way it is mounted.

I think I am going to buy the incratrack and try it out. Someone from incra emailed me and said I could make the rear bridge about 1-1/2” thick and mount the track on top. it would make it 4" tall though but if that did not bother me then it would be fine. It was already going to be 3.5 inches tall so the 4 inches is not a problem for me.

Blog Entries
    I use the track in your second link on my miter gauge. I do not know that it will lend itself well to a crosscut sled rear fence. However, if you are coveting the Incra 1/32" stepped-teeth function on that extrusion they do sell it separately. You could make your rear fence out of wood and get creative.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 08-26-2016 at 4:58 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Scot

In the following pic you can see two Incra Tracks for use with their Stop. The one on the left is an Incra Miter 2000, the track on the right is from their drill press table. I would imagine that it is the one on the right you would want because the fence is tightened into that mini T-track you see underneath it.
    Incra2.jpg

This pic would show the full depth you could go with the Stop. It's not much.
    Incra1.jpg

The bar that makes the vertical stop is used on a lot of different devices. In this photo I took the track off a T-rule by General. Incra makes the track for their T-rules also. In theory, you could buy the track for the vertical stop, and make it any length you'd like to.
    INcra4.jpg

There are a a lot of ways to skin the cat, and nothing says that you just can't use the fence itself as the rear fence and just let the blade cut through it the first time, after you knew it was square to the blade.

Mike
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Awesome thanks for the help! thanks for the pictures Mike, they made it a little more clear. I do have some of those mini t-track too so I will see what I can get put together here soon.

I don't get the tracks on the sled base. What is their purpose?