Thread: Taking a break from woodturning

Taking a break from woodturning

I decided to take a break from woodturning but would like to return to it someday. As mentioned in an earlier post the learning curve for this skill was much steeper than expected. Online instructional videos make it look deceptively easy. Perhaps having a mentor close by or attending a seminar/class would've made a difference. The lathe has been sold primarily because of this decision. But it was also getting in the way with other projects. I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone here for their prior comments, help and support. It was truly appreciated. Hope to return soon to the vortex as some have called it.
    Last edited by Steve Mathews; 08-26-2016 at 11:20 AM.

Steve - blessings and peace to you. Have a tremendous time with your other projects.

I really agree that there is a tremendous learning curve in turning, a very specific cluster of skills that are not self-evident. I did a whole lot of turning the last year (for me - averaging about an hour a day) and I'm about 3-1/2 years into it. I find that I use a very limited set of tools. I need a ton of hands on help at the local club or from individuals just to take on the next tool or the next one. I feel like an intermediate piano student who can play about 8 pieces publicly now. But there are tens of thousands of pieces I have never even looked at.

So I affirm your choice, your self awareness, knowing when you want to step forward and when you want to step back.
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 08-26-2016 at 3:42 PM.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Steve, I can remember going to some of the traveling woodworking shows and watching the guys use different woodworking tools and making it look like it was the easiest tool in the world to use. Only to find out when I got home that it wasn't so easy. Woodturning, just like any other skill, sport or activity does take a long time to learn and to become proficient. I've been at it for just over 8 years and am just now feeling really comfortable with the various tools I use and with the speed at which I can complete a project. I am currently teaching my wife how to turn and remember the challenges and questions that she has as part of my learning process. I also see that she is making better turnings than I did at the same point in my learning process. A lot of that is simply that I am there to help and answer question on the spot. An advantage that I never had. It does take a lot of time and energy to get comfortable with a piece of wood spinning at 800 rpms or better while you are trying to make a skinny tool cut some wood.

Good luck on your other projects and hope to see you back.

Steve, I can see or understand taking a break, what I can't see or understand is why you sold your lathe? Especially, if you think there might be a chance of you wanting to return to the hobby. It would be a lot easier to return to the hobby if you still owned the lathe, heck still owning the lathe might make you want to return to the fold. Enjoy your time and build what you may, we will be here when you once more have the urge.
    Len

Hope you find it like quitting smoking--it,s a powerful vortex. Learned and turned for several years with a magazine or two--I found that discovering and learning were the best parts. I still learn every day--like sailing. It took years to go from drifting across the lake to winning races--still learn every time I go aboard. Last race was across the Gulf of Mexico 30 years ago. Traded my bateaux for a !6" lathe and loved it. Good luck whatever tack you take.